1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by malachite, Feb 5, 2010.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I have to my wisdom teeth pulled at the end of the month.

About how long did it take to heal up for guys?

And, how long was it til you could eat solid food again?

2. Strawberry

I had mine taken out a few months ago.

I only had to take the pain medicine the first day, but my mouth was not a happy place at all for a few days. I got mine removed on a Friday, and I ate noodles and potatoes until Tuesday, when I went out for a soft sandwich. I would say the whole thing had completely healed by that Thursday, because it was Thanksgiving then and I ate normally. So... six days, maybe?

I got really sick of the whole soft foods thing really quick. I still never want to see another bowl of Jello ever again.

3. Sylver

I had all of mine done. One was done separately, then the other 3 in one sitting with local anesthesia. It was a little freaky hearing the sound of the teeth cracking (or roots maybe?) as he pulled them out, and him using my face as leverage... Anyway...

It was kind of rough the first day after. I took one tylenol 3 but I didn't like how it made me feel so I stuck with regular tylenols after that. The discomfort probably lasted for about 3 days in total, then it was just sensitivity in those areas for a little while after. Eating was curious because of the wierd "gum holes" which eventually sealed up - food kept getting stuck in there. But I was back on "solid" food in a couple of days, just being a little cautious for sensitive areas in my mouth.

Don't worry, it's not too bad.

4. KaraBulut

Honestly, it depends on how deep they are and the angle of the impaction.

If the teeth are vertical and not caught in the adjacent molar, it's a pretty straightforward procedure and it takes about 2-3 days for the swelling to come down and for things to get back to normal.

If the teeth aren't vertical, then the dentist or oral surgeon has to work a bit harder to extract them. This can cause a lot of local swelling and bruising in the inside of the mouth and in the cheeks. This usually takes a little more time to heal and for things to get back to normal.

5. Zume

This stil kinda freaks me out..I was worried that they would push my other teeth and screw up everything but only the top two have come out so far and no problems..I'll add another question to this thread...

Are there any problems that could arise by not having them taken out?

6. KaraBulut

Usually, there are two reasons why they should be removed:
    • The tooth is impacted in a way that adversely affects the adjacent teeth, the jawbone or the nerves that run through this part of the jaw.
    • The tooth is partially through the skin but "caught" in a way that allows bacteria to enter the skin and cause an infection.

7. Zumbro

When I had mine taken out, I went under for it so i didn't have to hear the cracking noises. (they paid for braces for my brother, one surgery - my first and only - I figured I could go under for :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

Fair warning though, they might not put in sutures. I was really worried that mine had fallen out, because they hadn't told me they hadn't put them in. It supposedly helps the healing process to be faster and cleaner. I didn't end up with any food pockets, and I was actually playing my trombone in a concert 5 days later, so I'm happy with it.

8. littledinosaurs

I bleed on my pillow pretty much every night for a few days after.
    But other than that it was fine.
    It's kinda gross when the stitches start to come out cause they feel stringy and don't fully come out for a little while after.

Also: Stay home and don't go out, even if you feel fine. I did and then i got really sick with Mono after. It pretty much killed the beginning of my summer.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No my teeth are healthy, they have to be removed becuase they are pushing my jaw back and cause my TMJ

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there could be like me.

My teeth are healthy, in fact the oral surgon said it is a shame to have to take them out becuase they show no sign of infection and I've had them for about 8 years; but, they are pushing my jaws back and cause my jaw to pop and crack (TMJ). So, to answer your question: yes there could be problems later on in life.

11. Gaetan

For me, my teeth were perfectly healthy, not impacted, nothing. However, they did not come in entirely straight, nor were they actually doing anything. Thus, a very very high potential for them to rot out and cause problems later.

I had all four taken out at the same time. Possibly because of the fact I had really no problems with them, I had nothing beyond a little soreness the next day. Took no medication, and I was able to eat normally within a few days after we were sure that I didn't develop dry sockets.

12. RaeofLite

I was lucky. I only had two wisdom teeth that were coming in. I didn't have any in the bottom of my jaw. (I had X-Rays taken of course to prove this).

And I was kind of nervous... but I paid the extra bit to be put under-because I'm a wuss and cannot stand pain (especially in the head/face area). I remember not being able to eat for a while before the surgery and I went in, talked to the doctors etc. Mom left to get my prescription of T3s, and while we were talking, one of the ladies injected my arm with the anesthetic drip. I don't remember anything after that...

which is kind've scary. lol
    But I woke up and things were spinning a little. My jaw didn't hurt (since they had frozen it) but I felt almost drunk/some other type of intoxication as I walked to another orom to get some water and sit down to follow up what had happened in the appointment.

I felt pretty mellow the rest of the day and there were two pretty large holes where my teeth had been.

I had a T3 if I ever felt the pain come back but for me, I was lucky, the pain wasn't that bad. It was more the fact that I couldn't eat the tasty meals my family had. I stuck to super soft smoothies and soups that didn't have a lot of hard veggies or other things to them..

It lasted about 4 days or less? Then again I don't know how it would be depending on how many you're getting taken out and the procedures they do at the clinic.

13. xCrazyInsanity

week for the stiches to come out, maybe 2 days before i could eat.

Personally, i didn't have problems. The worst one was that I can't take pain medications, so they made me sick until i convinced my mother to stop forcing them down my throat.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me about a week before I could each solid foods. But even after that it takes an additional 2-3 weeks for the holes to mostly go away. But u can each solid food with the holes. You just gotta make sure you clean them out often. You don't want your skin growing back over a piece of food.

15. Chandra

I'm in my 30s and my wisdom teeth have never grown in (and yes, they're there). Guess this means I'm not wise enough yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah that doesn't sound too good.