1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dtownandrew, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't had much luck with my health lately. I had mono back in September, and it lasted for months. Recently, however, I have been noticing some problems that I thought were leftovers of the mono. Having to pee 10 times a day or more, being really hungry, large weight loss and gain (between 125 and 145), and a lot of headaches. When I was driving home on Friday, I almost passed out in my car, but I had a coke with me and drank it, which made me feel better. So I went to the doctor to get blood work done, and they discovered that I have type 1 diabetes.

Since I was diagnosed at the University Health Clinic, they referred me back to my main physician in Atlanta. They gave me all of these packets of information and told me a bunch of things that I'm going to have to start doing to be healthy. I'm so stressed out that it's type 1!!!

2. KaraBulut

Did you meet with a certified diabetic educator (CDE)?

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

As long as you follow the management plan you have nothing really to worry about. It does take some work, but in todays world diabetes can be easily and well managed. I know a few older diabetics with type I and they are doing fine eventhough they were diagnosed in like the 60's.

4. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there
    Sounds like everything has just sort of rushed up at once and you havent had a chance to breathe. Don't stress out about the different types, almost all young people who have diabetes have type 1. I have no idea what the support is like in the US, but here in the UK there is an organisation called DiabetesUK. Their website is fantastic and will probably answer loads of questions you may have.
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Newly_diagnosed/

Also this part of the site is specifically for young adults with type 1, but have a snoop around.
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/MyLife-YoungAdults/

Hope you had a nice day
    Nicxx

#4 silas99, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010