1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart palpitations?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BasketCase, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BasketCase

For the last couple of days I have been having a strange 'sensation' in my chest. At times it feels like I can feel my heart 'thumping' in my chest. I wasnt really concerned about it yesterday but am a little concerned today that I am still feeling it.

I dont have the healthiest lifestyle, I drink a fair few pints of beer on the weekend, and I could certainly stand to eat healthier. I am overweight too.

There is probably nothing to worry about but just wondering if anyone has experience something similar and how long I should leave it (Assuming it doesnt stop very soon) before thinking about seeing a doctor.

2. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Make an appointment as soon as possible. You don't want to leave that sort of thing too long.

3. RaeofLite

Do you smoke? Not exercise? Have anxiety?

Any of these could cause possible high blood pressure or panic attacks from what I've read and learned.

4. BasketCase

I dont smoke but I dont excercise (Apart from normal walking during the day) either. I think its fair to say I have had my share of anxiety both ongoing and particuarly in the last few weeks.

5. KaraBulut

You need to make an appointment with your doctor. Probably you'll need some lab work done, maybe an EKG and you may be given a monitor to wear on your chest for a couple of days.

There are a number of things that can cause his- caffeine sensitivity, electrolyte imbalance, thyroid problems to name a few. It can take a few tests to find the cause.

But don't dismiss this- it is something that you need to have checked as soon as possible.

6. BasketCase

If it continues into tomorrow then I will ring my doctor and see if I can get an appointment for next week. Should I go even if it stops between me making the appointment and and the date of the appointment?

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

My heart makes weird palpitations every so often, but they only last every 5 seconds or so. I just always thought it was all the Adderall I used to do. *shrug* But if it really does worry you go get it looked at. I would say even if it stops to do so; better safe than sorry.

8. KaraBulut

Chances are if you call them and say that you're having heart palpitations, they're going to ask you to come in sooner than that.

I'd recommend that you go ahead and book the appointment, even if they stop.