1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I having Cluster headaches? Treatable?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fargo, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Well lately, and this has been going on for years, not sure how long though, at night usually when I go to bed(Sometimes before, sometimes after, but still awake), I get these headaches. They are usually on one side or the other and it is so sharp and stabbing that it makes me feel nauseous. The pain usually locates itself in my temple, around and behind my eye, and the pain radiates in to my jaw and teeth. Now I have no cavities if that's what you think, and plus the pain starts around my eyes first. But I find no relief to the headaches, lights on or off. Tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin, all useless. Last night, the pain kept me awake in bed until after 6am... I just can't stand this anymore. I find it is usually triggered by using my computer for a significant amount of time, and possibly even smoking, but I'm not entirely 100% sure. Does anyone know if a doctor can prescribe me anything?

2. Gaetan

I imagine they could prescribe something, but you'd have to talk about with your doctor. To me, it sounds like just a severe migraine rather than cluster headaches. Do you get blotchy vision with the headache?

A cluster headache is, as I understand, severe pain centered around one location that leaves you in absolute, unbearable agony. I've heard it described as giving birth through your eye sockets.

3. KaraBulut

Neurologists are the specialty that works with headaches.

At this point, I wouldn't attribute the headache to a cluster migraine. It's more important that you have other possible causes excluded. Migraine is what we call a diagnosis of exclusion- we eliminate other physical causes and what is left is the diagnosis of migraine.

If migraine is the final diagnosis, then there are medications that you can take that will stop the migraine early in the process before it becomes too severe to manage. There are also dietary and lifestyle changes that will help prevent migraine.

I don't know the process in the Canadian health system in BC but in most of the Canadian provinces, you would start with your primary physician to get a referral to a neurologist.

4. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Yee, I usually get them around the same time every night and they are always in the same area for a general period of time. Sometimes right side, but this time, left side. And it was absolute agony for me...I couldn't sleep!!! TT.TT

My symptoms weren't any of those. Except that the pain intensified in the light. As for the nausea, I think it has just been because I haven't been eating as often or drinking as often as I should.

Here is a short run down of Cluster:
    I get 3/4 for sure, but I can't remember if I am awakened at night or not.

#4 Fargo, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
  5. Zach

I went through an extended period of cluster headaches, and nothing seemed to help. I had gone to my regular doctor several times but he never figured out what caused them. I went into my eye doctor in october for my yearly checkup, and as it turns out my eye sight had actually improved alot. My glasses and contacts were too strong for me now. Once I got the new glasses and contacts my headaches stopped, and I've been fine.

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I don't have glasses or contacts and I don't have vision problems, otherwise I'd be affected more often during the day.

7. Johnnieguy

I don't tend to get extremely bad headaches, but sometimes, for no apparent reason, I get very very dizzy and then begin to sweat. It doesn't happen that often, but its been happening most of my life. Anyway, what I do is get an ice pack on it. It works for me. I know it isn't a very good fix for you, but the cold might numb the pain enough to get you through the night until you are able to get proper medication for it.

8. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I guess I'll do that tonight if it happens. I'm going to walk-in tomorrow night.

9. someguy82

I hope they're not cluster headaches. I have them, they're a nightmare, and outside of a very limited set a medications that have a very small window of effectiveness there just isn't much you can do to treat them.

10. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Last night I kept waking up. I couldn't sleep at all. It's wearing me down and my emotional, physical and mental state are being affected too. I feel helpless D'=

11. someguy82

Talk to a doctor, they can maybe diagnose you and maybe prescribe with you something along the lines of imitrex or some such if they find it appropriate, which can help break a cycle sometimes (I've had more success with it than medications traditionally prescribed for migraines, which I had been misdiagnosed as having until about 4 years ago, such as Fioricet, Midrin and Zomig). If you're suffering from a headache when you go in they will often offer demoral (I'm brainfarting on the spelling of this, sorry), but it won't really deal with the headache pain, and any relief it provides will be temporary at best and just make you loopy with a headache afterwards so I usually turn it down, it's your call. Whatever you do, do not use over the counter medications to tackle it, they will generally only make it worse over time especially if used for 2 days or more.

As for dealing with the headache, it can be difficult but find a focus. I cant tell you how many times I've paced around or just sat there rocking back and forth shaking a leg just hoping it would go away, and neither of these really work. I've found engaging in an activity to try and take my mind off of it like videogames helps (with the sounds down very low if not on mute, light doesn't bother me that much but sound does, who knows why), or going for a walk and getting some fresh air if it's around dusk or in the evening can sometimes help. Remember the headache will go away and the cycle will end so just ride that crap out and don't let it get out of hand and keep you from functioning like a normal human being.

12. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Unfortunately for me it has been starting around midnight/1am and keeping me up until 6am or just continuously waking me up throughout the night. It's irritating and painful. And when I told my dad to take me to the walk-in he just said "And what are they gunna do?" So I said forget it. =/ I'm gunna go insane from this. I am irritable...more irritable than when I withdraw from nicotine. TT.TT Thanks for your help.

13. someguy82

Yeah trust me I was up until 5 am last night for a reason, you can learn to live with them even though it may not seem like it sometimes.

14. Fargo

Fargo Guest

It's going to ruin my final semester D'= Missing school isn't what I like doing. And if I fail ANY one course this semester, I don't grad at the end of the year.

15. someguy82

No, it won't. Calm down, stressing about the situation is only going to make it worse. Just make an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible and try to relax (I know that's a tall order, but it's better than stressing about the situation).

16. kw12

I suffer from cluster headaches. If I catch it at the first sign of pain, I can take an excedrin and it isn't so bad. But by the time one wakes you up, its a little too late for Excedrin to work. I like to put a lot of pressure on the area that hurts (for me it is always behind my right eye and teeth).

My doctor mentioned that the weather may be the cause of it. Major changes in temperature or pressure could trigger it.

Good luck