1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I See a Psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dtownandrew, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was little and my parents got divorced, the state ordered my brother and I to see a psychiatrist to settle the custody dispute. I don't know if I was just too young, or the experience didn't have much of an impact on me, but I don't have too many memories left of going to the appointments. Anyway, I'm debating about whether or not I should start seeing a psychiatrist now and if it would be beneficial.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've had a lot of things happen to me in the past year that have more or less traumatized me. My parents are suing each other over tuition payments, my mom almost died from breast cancer, both of my parents' houses were flooded, I've been in two serious car accidents, and I have an abusive ex-boyfriend who I have to see everyday because he lives two doors down from me. I live in an enormous dormitory building at college that is an absolute dump, and even though I'm doing well in all of my classes, I'm really struggling to do so. I like to think that I'm an emotionally strong person, but I think everything is starting to take a toll on me.

The problem that I have is I can't seem to grasp what's happening to me. I know I feel like a different person, in a negative way, and that it isn't a good feeling. It would be nice to think that a psychiatrist could help me, but I don't know what he would help me with. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but do y'all think it's worth a shot? The university I attend pays for a psychiatrist.

2. Beachboi92

If you are feeling stressed to a point where it is impacting your life in any noticeable way or if you are considering getting help you prob should. I think you should be going for a councilor before you consider psychiatrist (they do medication) and they can help you deal with that stress and decide if you are in need of a psychiatrist to decide on a medication. :slight_smile: hope i helped GL :grin:

3. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that there was a difference between a counselor and a psychiatrist :eusa_doh:

4. Beachboi92

I see both now xD counseling for the past 4 years and psychiatrist for 2 along with being involved in my brothers counseling and used to do group with brothers and Dad. I've gone through 2 counselors due to change in the types of stress i was dealing with (family/abusive stuff vs regular teenage stress+being out stress). Like i said if you are considering it you prob should go for it :slight_smile: it can be very helpful to talk to someone objective that can help point you in the right direction :slight_smile:

5. Zumbro

Simple answer: If you're considering seeing one, it can't help to go. Counselor is probably the right one over a psychiatrist though, and your school likely has a counseling department attached to its health center, so at little or no cost to you.

As far as your ex goes, I would request a room change. If it's having an effect on you, you might as well move. The school will do that in order to help you through it.

6. padre411

I see both. Psychiatrists are mostly for psychopharmocology - medication. In my case, there is a strong family background of depression and my own diagnosis is bipolar type II.

The counselor/therapist is more about conversation, helping you examine what is going on and how to cope with it. The therapist should be fairly skilled as to whether you are struggling with something that would warrant a psychiatrist.

peace,

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US, the term is therapist or psychologist usually; "counselor" in the US is often a term that is less regulated and may or may not get you a qualified person. If your school pays for it, that's great, try to find one who has experience with LGBT issues. Most therapists working with a college population will, but you should always check.

I'm confident that from what you're describing you would benefit greatly from seeing a therapist. I encourage you to do so and definitely check back and let us know how things are going.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you are feeling stressed and having a tough time coping with it, I would suggest that you see some type of counselor. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who prescribes medication and diagnoses. A psychologist treats and diagnoses without medication, though in many cases they work with a psychiatrist.