1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym subscriptions?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by darkestknight, Feb 20, 2010.

1. darkestknight

So far, I'm planning to hit the gym, but they are just a bit exorbitant. Besides that, the preliminary subscriptions are tied to at least a one-year contract, and they throw in many other stuff which I will not utilize (much) in the gym, such as the pilates class and the uh, stretching-ball class.

In that case for those branched, commercial gymnasiums, must I keep enquiring and double checking? :grin:

2. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    All gyms are proper expensive sadly. Its like, do you need the knowledge you paid £400 to make you exercise, or could you force yourself to do something like run everyday which is free but you don't feel obliged to do it.
    Maybe you need someone to take up a sport with you so you pay way less but you still have the guilt motivation.

3. Chandra

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you mean, should you keep checking to see if they have a special deal on their rates, then I'd say yes. The gym I go to (and most of the other ones around town) charges quite a high registration fee, in addition to $50 or so per month for the membership, and you usually initially have to sign up for at least a year. However, quite often they'll hold membership drives where they'll drop the registration fee altogether, and sometimes even allow for three-month trial memberships.

You could also try striking a deal with the gym manager - pick one you like, tell them you'd like to sign up but the other gym down the road is offering a better deal, and see if they'll bend the rules for you.

4. Apocalypte

Are there any cheaper gyms around - stuff like a local authority-run leisure centre or a YMCA? They can be a little cheaper than regular commercial gyms.

5. Emberstone

consider a athletic club instead. at least in my area, you can tailor your membership for cost effect.

There was one in my area where you can get a cheaper membership if you only workout during non-peak times, and it gives you full access. only want to use the workout equipment, they give you a cheaper membership that doesnt require a class fee. you can also get memberships for classes only, with no gym access.

6. darkestknight

I see. Well, I might need a personal trainer to get accustomed with the machines and the techniques first. Then later if I'm familiar with these exercise methods, I'd like to do without one.

But there's the trial periods for those commercial gyms. I'm testing them out and see how they all fare. :grin:

7. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i just subscribed to a gym for 2 years its cheaper then 1 . its its around 75 dollars per month. and its a very nice gym.

also today i had a pink towel and i came out of the showers wearing only my small pink towel if there were any gsys over there i would not be single right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Johnnieguy

I wish there were more guys at my gym like that.

Back to the original topic, how about going to Snap fitness/Anytime fitness/24 hour fitness? They seem to be all over the place, and I think are fairly cheap.

9. pianomike

i like the YMCA, our entire family of 7 only has to pay $90 a month, where i have a friend who pays $35 a month just for him.
    And the Y we ahve has the full gym, lounge, group class rooms, Olympic size pool (complete with hot lifeguards) saunas, hot tubs, massage therapists, and a bunch of other stuff i haven't used yet.

10. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    today my russian gym instructor Alex almost killed me... after 2 sets of lifthing wieghts he asks " do you muscles hurt?" i say " yes alot" then he goes " good , lift another set "

on the bright side , ill be getting in shape pretty fast xD