1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some good tips to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Querido, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Querido

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The title says it all,

thanks in advance

2. ThePug

Don't deprive yourself of foods you like, just limit yourself on how much you have. I've lost 30 pounds in 2 months by having almost no pop, one 20 ounze bottle every 3 days or so.
    Portion control is very important and water will help tide you over. If you have an ipod touch or a cellphone with a web browser, use something like Fit Day to count calories and see how much you really are eating and cut back. The first few days will be the most difficult, but it gets way easier.

3. RaeofLite

Depending on your height and weight, you'll have to either lower calorie intake (if you eat more than the amount of energy you burn from exercize) or eat more than usual because you are starving yourself. Yes, sometimes larger people get larger because they starve themselves, then eat a bit more normally and that packs on teh weight.

My tips:
    -start drinking green tea if you don't already (tons of antioxidants-meaning it's good for your mental energy and good for your skin and inside of your body) :grin:
    -eat small meals every few hours to keep your metabolism and energy topped off.
    -start exercizing (start 3 or 4 times a week at a gym or outside. Walking, rollerblading, biking, running, whatever works, for 20 mins every workout day. Work on improving your time and moving up to 40 mins or so a day). If you're pushing yourself (but not to the point of actually dying of heart failure, you're doing great).
    -drink WATER (again, depending on your weight, you'll drink different amount of water than someone else. Google 'how much water should a (put your weight here) drink'.)
    -in your meals, include a bit of lean protein (chicken, lean ground beef, fish, tofu or veggie substitute), along with complex carb and fruit or veggie side.
    -watch out for empty calories (like pop, creamy sauces in stirfries/soups/other dishes, juices, starbucks...(yes I know), alcohol and other unheathly things that will move your calorie total higher but are almost devoid of nutrients).

-it takes a lot of willpower especially if you're the only one that seems to be eating healthy while people around you aren't, but if you have a goal, stick to it. Post pictures around your house or bathroom mirror of a goal picture how you want to look. Or think of the clothes you could fit into or something like that.

If you have anything to ask, feel free to drop me a line. :slight_smile:

4. Sylver

Here are 6 simple rules that have worked for me;

1. No fast food, period, whether they market it as "healthy" or not.

2. Cut out ALL food with trans fats. Also cut back significantly on foods high in saturated fats, but you don't have to cut them out completely.

3. Limit all processed foods (pretty much anything that comes in a box or is "ready made"). For example, eat real cheese instead of cheese slices. On the other hand, all fruits and veggies (except potatoes) are considered to be zero calories and therefore unlimited eating. My MD sister told me that when shopping at the grocery store, buy as much as you can from the outer ring of the store (along the walls), and stay away from the central aisles, because this is where most of the processed food is kept.

4. Cut back as much as possible on sugar. A sub-rule, no more soft drinks (including diet soda, it's just as bad).

5. Replace ALL white flour foods with whole grain and whole wheat foods (they fill you up more). Same goes for replacing white rice with brown rice.

6. Gulp down 1 large glass of water before each meal. It will make you feel fuller on less food. It's a good way to manage portion size if that's a problem for you.

Even without actively dieting these tips should get you to a more "normal" weight.

5. Emberstone

to lose a pound of fat in a week, the general guideline is to cut 500 calories a day, for 3500 less calories a week. this, of course, varies from person to person.

Also. don't yo-yo. slow and steady wins the race. losing more than 2-3 pounds a week is hard on your body, and if you drop alot of weight, either your body starts to et strained organ wise, or you gain it back and more.

loosing weight should be a gradual, steady process, because that way, you are more likely to reprogram your body and your metabolisem to become adapted to lifestyle changes.

6. Breakdown

well i think:

eat healthy, go 4 walks, or do any kinder exercise for a whole moth without weighing urself.

coz if u focus each day on how much u have lost since the day b4, u could get urself down if u havn lost any or very little.

i did it this way when i was loosing weight.
    so jst focus on doing this healthy an nt the actual weigh in

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your three catchphrases should be:

* Eat less.
    * Eat better.
    * Move more.

Those pretty much sum it up.

I'll say that I dropped a lot of weight by exercising a lot more, and eating in small doses every hour. 50-75 calories each hour. Pretzel sticks, apple slices, carrot sticks, what have you. Be really picking about portion size. This keeps the metabolism high, and keeps you from feeling hungry. It DOES take some time to get used to not eating a big meal during the day, but once you switch over, it's pretty easy to stick with it.

I will say that I DO drink quite a bit of diet soda, and haven't had an issue with it.

Lex

8. Jim1454

Same here. But caffeine free diet soda. You put your body on a roller coaster ride by drinking caffinated drinks. That's what I took away from the program I was on.

9. Zume

Ok well here is my two cents then:

0) Forgot this one so numbering it rule #0.. Take a picture! Take a picture of yourself to be your motivation..one thing I did not do and wish I would have. Constantly look at that picture and say to yourself "I don't want to be that person again!"

1) Try to eat less.. instead of going back for seconds or more, limit yourself to one plate and don't pile it high calling it one plate (i've done that). Drink water with your meal to fill yourself up a lil more.

2) Cut back on soda if you drink it..don't cut it out completely right away though because with caffinated drinks..you will go through terrible caffeine withdrawl. You will eventually get to the point where tea, flavored water or regular water will be enough for you.

3) If you diet, do not cut out ALL of your favorite foods because you will just go into "I want that so I will get as much as I can" phase and that can be dangerous..every week or so get yourself a little something as a treat to keep you going.

4) Exercise! Even if you only do maybe half an hour a day to get started..that's good..go for slow walks to begin if you don't already have an active exercise schedule. If you do already..try adding a little more to it..push yourself a little harder.

5) One thing I do now is drink water or tea throughout the day so when it gets to the point where I am hungry I don't eat nearly as much.

6) Also..No more fast food if you can help it.. Eating fruits or veggies as snacks are much much better for you!

Since december of '08 I've lost 98 pounds using these tips..hope they work well for you also! :thumbsup:

#9 Zume, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  10. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i cut out the diet coke and switched to flavoured water. i cant drink plain water as it makes me ill. but i feel much better for it already. saying that i am drinking alot of water now haha. i say bout 1.5 litres a day now.

11. BasketCase

How bad are the caffeine withdrawals? I usually have at least two 500ml bottles a day at work and often another pint or so when I get home.

12. Aoifeee

Green tea! Replace all coffee with this, it will help you boost your metabolism, flush your body of toxins and you'll lose cellulite too :slight_smile: I recommend brewing it in water at about 70 degrees celcius (boiling water makes it release nasty tasting..nastiness :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and if you're still not keen on the taste mix a bit of fruit juice in!

Small meals(200-400cals) every 2-4 hours instead of breakfast, lunch and a big dinner alongside snacks (supposing that's what you're eating atm). Try to cut back on heavy carbs (potatoes, bread, rice, pasta) and replace with vegetables and replace all white carbs with wholegrains.

Also, increasing your intake of protein and exercising even just a little bit each day can really help, the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will be, which means you'll lose weight even faster! :slight_smile:

13. Aoifeee

I second all of this! I use Fit Day too, if you're prone to snacking or indulging in fatty/sugary foods alot then this site can help as you have to record every thing you've eaten for the day, once you see just how many calories are in all the food you've eaten you'll think twice about it the next time. It also records your nutrient intake so you can make sure you're getting enough of the good stuff :slight_smile:

14. Connor22

seems everyone else has this pretty much covered, just follow their advice and you'll be fine so I think I'll just say GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: