1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was just diagnosed with severe biochemical depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by someguy82, Mar 2, 2010.

1. someguy82

I really just want to stop feeling like I want to die.

2. Sylver

Is it safe to assume that this diagnosis is being followed with an aggressive course of both medical treatment and psychological therapy? I really hope so, because no one deserves to feel the way you do...

3. Johnnieguy

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. Can you be given medication now to help make it better? Your darkest days may very well be behind you.

4. Aoifeee

Things will get better, trust me, they do. But you have to work for it ♥

5. Halpert

I'm terribly sorry to hear this! (*hug*)

But, you're in the right direction! I was diagnosed with it last fall. The antidepressant I take is quite effective. I'm assuming, if its severe, you'll be taking medication? If so, you'll most likely pull out of it. Those feelings will go away. But you'll need to give it time. :slight_smile:

Best of luck! If you ever want to talk, pm me!

6. KaraBulut

What are they doing for your depression?

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

With the proper treatment, most people do tend to feel better and recover.

Did they explicitly say that your dx was "severe biochemical depression"? I've never seen that in any books that provide diagnostic requirements (DSM-IV, ICD-10, etc).

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im pulling for you. glad you are getting help.

9. someguy82

I've been put on medication, but they don't want to do anything aggressive medication wise until I get an assessment from a psychiatrist. I'm also going to start counseling in combination with the medication, the university is currently setting me up with a counselor. I'm frustrated because I'm young and impatient and I want to be better now, but I'm realizing that's not an option in this situation. I was very close to hospitalizing myself yesterday, but I'm trying not to let my life slip through my fingers while I'm trying to deal with this.

10. Sylver

It sounds like you're being treated closely by professionals who have a plan and who have your interests at heart - that's fantastic! Stick with them and they will help you get to a better place in your life!

11. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of people have problems with depression, occasional manic states, and other conditions which are nothing to be embarrassed about. The problem for me was that some medications were worse than the conditions for which they were prescribed. I didn't get on well with Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Abilify, Depakote, or Lamictal among others. I really liked Doxepin cause it helped me sleep and left me without side effects, but I had to stop it when my insurance stopped.

Be sure you are very careful with the medications prescribed, and don't just stop taking something you've been using for a while if it doesn't seem to be working.

There is help, but you have to be patient and careful. It's good though to seek:help:when you need it.

12. someguy82

Bleh, getting through the day is so hard. I have zero interest in any of the activities I used to enjoy, I have no appetite, and I hurt all over. On top of it all the antidepressant they gave me has made my dick stop working, not that I had a sex drive during this situation anyway (I feel to gross right now to think anyone would want to be with me), but still.

13. Spectre

Sexual side effects are quite common with certain antidepressants. I know it may be embarassing, but you should tell your doctor about it as soon as possible. You can ask him to switch antidepressants, and hopefully find one where the sexual side effects aren't there or are less severe. There are some antidepressants out there that actually are known to increase sexual pleasure, namely Welbutrin.

I also think counseling will help, so kudos to you for setting up an appointment. I hope everything goes well, just give yourself some time, and be proud of the steps you are taking. :slight_smile:

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

That is not an uncommon side effect of anti-depressant medications.

Also, here is a useful resource about the different types of treatment for depression.

#14 Swamp56, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  15. someguy82

I just want to stop feeling like this, or alternatively I just want to go asleep and stay that way for a long long time. Unfortunately I just lay in bed, unable to sleep, but always exhausted.

16. Spectre

And you are taking the right steps towards feeling better. Believe it or not, that silly saying of "time heals all" is rarely untrue when it comes to depression. Just keep talking to people, like you're doing right now. It does get easier to manage, it does get better.

And if the cause is something other than a chemical imbalance, just know there will always be someone here to talk if you want or need it.

Take care.

17. Jim1454

Medication takes a few days to kick in - so just stick with it. You're on the right path.

18. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's hard, I know. It takes 3-4 weeks for many antidepressants to actually start to work. Try and stay in there, it will only get better from here on out.

19. someguy82

Well, I spoke to a psychiatrist today for follow up. After discussing family history and my own mood patterns for last couple years the diagnosis was changed from clinical depression to bipolar disorder. I'm supposed to immediately cease taking the antidepressant. He put me on some antianxiety meds, and I'm supposed to do some reading and go in next wednesday to talk to him again, discuss my options and to put me on a longterm medication for bipolar disorder.

20. Spectre

Are you still going to see a counselor? While psychiatrists are trained professionals, they're more often than not trained drug dispensers. With psychotherapy you may find it would help more than a pill, without the negative side effects.