1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame? and being a sub

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NoLeafClover, Mar 6, 2010.

1. NoLeafClover

In my everyday life, I'm not exactly a sub. I generally feel in control, with a distinct direction. In bed, however, I'm a complete sub.

I don't think it's just for sexual satisfaction either. The feeling goes deeper - it's like a sigh of relief when I know that someone else is in charge. There's also a huge trust factor involved, which is very comforting. It appeases me physically and emotionally for that person to be there. The longing usually only comes up when I have sex on the brain, but I've thought of it at other times in the day, and felt that having responsibilities/duties to/for a dom is comforting.

The thing is, I think this is where a lot of my own shame comes from - and for the moment I think it's what separates me from my gay friends. We're all gay, but it seems like I'm a different kind of gay, lol...

Friend: "I'm not just gonna be some guy's bitch."
    Me: (Thinking) Why not? :bang:

^I don't have an interest in being treated like complete trash, but....well...mrrr

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :icon_redf

2. Eleanor Rigby

Some people are submissive, whether they are straight or gay. There is no reason for being ashamed. What you like in bed is nobody's business but yours and your partner's.
    As long as both of you agree on what you are doing and that you're safe doing it, there is nothing wrong with it.

3. someguy82

I take charge and am fairly controlling in my life. That being said when it comes to sex, I like to let go and let my partner taker over, and tend to be very submissive. There's nothing shameful about it at all in my opinion. It's just how I prefer things to be.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tend to doubt that the shame comes solely (or even primarily) from feeling different from your friends. Without knowing a lot more, it would be difficult to say what's going on, but often, when someone wants to feel completely submissive in sexual situations, there are other issues at work, usually having to do with some sort of family-of-origin issues or dynamics while you were growing up.

This isn't to say that being submissive is, by itself, a bad thing... but often, the submissiveness in the bedroom spills out to other aspects of the relationship, and that tends to result in a very codependent-type relationship, which generally is not very healthy. I have no way of knowing if that's the case in your situation, but it might be worth looking at.

Additionally, if you do find yourself having guilt in general (whether or not you believe it to be rooted in your sexual submissiveness) then most likely that might be worth exploring as well. If you have the resources to talk to a therapist, you could probably learn a lot about yourself and whether or not those issues are of concern for you in a few sessions.

I'll also suggest reading Joe Kort's "10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" which I feel like is the only book I ever recommend, but honestly it is so amazing... and there are chapters in it that will speak to some of the guilt as well as the sexual submissiveness you're speaking of. If any of the other stuff I've mentioned resonates with you, let me know and there may be other books I can suggest as well.

I hope the above is helpful, please keep us informed!

#4 Chip, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  5. someguy82

Wow that describes the vast majority of my relationships.

6. NoLeafClover

Chip, I think you're close to these feelings' origin - to me, it screams daddy issues - but I usually pass that analysis up because, after all, it is what seems to do it for me in bed. This is the only thing I've ever wondered about seeing a therapist over too, lol.

A relationship that focuses on this kind of power dynamic interests me. I wonder if there are guys that are into controlling?

Thanks for the encouragement, Eleanor and someguy

7. KaraBulut

Just a minor note- there's a difference between submissive and passive.

Submissive is more of a willful decision. If you're happy and turned on by being dominated in bed, then that's a choice you make and it's not a problem.

But what you're hinting at is more passivity. It's an inability to be assertive and as Chip commented, your passivity can be an issue for you.

There are people who are very dominant in their day-to-day lives- at home, at work and in public who enjoy being submissive in bed. But if you're in this passive mode in all facets of your life- in and out of bed- then yes, this might be a problem for you.

8. NoLeafClover

The more I explore it, the more comfortable I am with being submissive (in bed). At first it wasn't an easy thing to say - yeah, fuck my face off please, sir - but the more I realize it's just what turns me on, the easier it is. It's just a function.

Problems come up when...well, when talk of sexuality comes up, among friends or otherwise. I'm not assertive about my submission :lol: at least while talking about it with people that have no clue what it is. I tend to shy away from these conversations, and I find that by the end of them, I haven't said anything honest. I suppose I'm afraid to tell friends (close friends) what really gets me, because I'm afraid of what they would think <---true!

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there surely are but likely they don't feel any shame about it because men are "supposed to be" controlling. I would guess most of your feelings of shame are probably about that, because men are supposed to be take-charge, independent, forceful, dominating kinds of people (and straight, to boot). And I can totally see how it would suck not being able to discuss it with your friends; I think it's cool you feel comfortable discussing it here and that people have been helpful/supportive and not, "What the heck is wrong with you?!" Because I'm guessing that could be a common reaction from, well, idiots.

But yeah, there is a HUGE amount of investment in men as sexual aggressors--it's pretty much the default pattern of how "real" sexual interaction (between men and women, dontcha know) is supposed to go. That's a lot of baggage to try to overcome so don't beat yourself up over it too much.

10. Eleanor Rigby

First thing, you're not obliged to discuss your sexuality with anyone, even close friends, if you're not comfortable with it. And instead of lying, I suppose it would be better just to say "I'm not really comfortable telling you what's happening in bed with my partner. This belong only to us".
    But if it's important for you to be able to talk about it with your friend, you're not obliged to tell them you're submissive straight away. Maybe when this kind of dicussion start between you and your friend you can start saying something among the lines "I personnaly prefer that my boyfriend takes things in charge." or "I like that my boyfriend is kind of directive with me when it comes about sex", and see how your friends react to it.
    Take care

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't make the assumption it's "daddy" issues specifically; there can be a million things that cause or contribute to those sorts of feelings.

Yes, most certainly. These are the guys who, typically, seek out the submissive or dependent types. And certainly there are a lot of relationships, both gay and straight, where this is the case. Such relationships can be functional in a dysfunctional sort of way, if that makes sense, as long as the codependency between the two parties is maintained, and in some cases that can be years or even decades. The problem is, in most cases it's not emotionally healthy for either party, but particularly for the dependent/controlled one, and if/when s/he eventually starts working on those dependency issues, in most cases, the relationship no longer works, because the controlling party no longer has someone to control.

This also is one of the major reasons why older/younger relationships are often dysfunctional, because there's frequently a strong imbalance of power resulting from the older person having much greater life experience, often greater income and resources, and other aspects that tend to disempower the younger person. And part of the reason why many such relationships don't last, because eventually, as the the younger person starts to assert more independence, it no longer fulfills the needs of the older person. Of course, I've seen relationships with power imbalances and/or large age differences that manage to work for years, but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

But at the end of the day, all of the above is at least somewhat theoretical. What really matters is what makes you happy. I am a firm believer that people who have these sorts of issues will benefit from therapy or at least some sort of introspective process to explore their feelings and find out if they really are truly happy with a relationship that has power imbalances. If, after introspection and inner work, you find that it really does work for you, then by all means, don't let anyone else's opinion, or even the dominant paradigm, dissuade you from what makes you feel fulfilled.

12. NoLeafClover

There's still an uncertainty with most of this, and after these posts I'm comfortable with saying that being dominated turns me on, but if I were to stretch that out to other aspects of my life (and especially within a relationship) I know I wouldn't be happy with a lot of it.

I might still be missing the point with this bit, but here goes. I know how to live my life, so to speak. I know that I don't need to hand over control of everything. I feel great when I've accomplished something for myself, all by myself.

Maybe I'm mixing up aspects of sex with non-sexual things.

Chip, you make a good point about the submissive one eventually becoming independent. This is something I feel like I'm on the verge of discovering, but due to the way my life is moving along at the moment, I can't yet establish my independence and so I feel stuck. I think once I reach a few of my shorter term goals, I'll be able to take some steps towards that independence. I know this won't change my sexual nature, but I think I might at least be able to skip the cry for help when I start drowning in a need for a partner.

Eleanor, you're absolutely right about my friends. The topic comes up (sex in general) every so often, and I usually end up leaving their place feeling kind of unnerved and unsure of myself when the night is over. On other nights when we don't talk about it, I'm perfectly fine. More privacy would help, definitely.

And Joey, you hit the nail on the head. There's always talk about what a real man is, and the distinct impression I'm always left with is that I don't fit the bill, as far as my sexuality goes. This is something I HAVE spent a great deal of time working with. Definitions of manhood vary greatly, but in the end I ascribe to the idea that you should be the kind of man that you want to be - and if you do that - you are a "real" man.

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except... treating anyone's sexuality like it's this totally private thing is (a) not reflective of reality because very few people, especially straight people, are hush-hush about their sexuality and (b) it makes it seem like sexuality is something that should be private, which is something I vehemently disagree with because I believe it only encourages the notion that sex and sexuality is something shameful.

Now obviously, one can talk about one's sexual desires without being totally specific (i.e. I don't think I would recommend leading with "Hey I'm NoLeafClover and I'm sexually submissive!") but to claim your sexuality is "just a private affair" translates to me as saying, "I'm not comfortable talking about my sexuality because I think there's something wrong with it." Because I don't think most people realize just how much people do address their sexuality... if it's their HETEROsexuality we're talking about. That is, you rarely hear people advising heterosexuals to treat their sexuality as a special "private" thing... well, unless it's some socially regressive dingdong advising women to preserve their "chastity" to stay "pure." But you hear the whole "sexuality is a special private *beautiful* thing" line WAY MORE if you're gay or if people are talking about any kind of non-heterosexuality. The double standard REALLY bothers me. And interestingly, it's quite nicely exemplified by a famous quotation by a very famous Canadian politician (Pierre Trudeau) regarding the partial decriminalization of adult homosexuality in Canada: "the state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." Which is all well and good, but the state was only sticking its nose into the bedrooms of the homosexuals of the nation.

Translation: heterosexuality--acceptable and publicly appropriate. Homosexuality--not acceptable and only appropriate in private.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in 100% agreement with Joey that there's no (rational) reason for anyone to feel shame or embarrassment about being open about sex, talking about it, and so forth. And yet society (at least much of polite society in US and Canada) hasn't caught up to that yet so it sort of creates a conundrum.

I do think it is absolutely OK to say "I'm not comfortable sharing that" about pretty much *anything* having to do with one's private life, whether it's dating/marital status, income, how much your house or car cost, or whatever. I think the key goes to the intent of what Joey is talking about; if you're saying "I'd rather not talk about it" because you'd really rather not, that's one thing. If you're saying it because you're embarrassed about it, then I would encourage you to work on being comfortable with yourself about that aspect of your sexuality, but at the same time, I'd also defend your right to keep that info private.

15. Spectre

It all comes down to how open you are with your friends. If you're someone who likes to keep things private, you shouldn't feel the need to come out and say "Oh yeah! I was totally dominated last night by my partner, let me tell you more about it!" just to fit in with the group or heteronormative realities.

But if people want to talk about the intimate details of their sex lives with their friends - more power to them.

16. someguy82

It's none of my friends business if I want my partner to tie me up and have his way with me lol.

All they need to know is that I'll be smiling the next day.

17. Jim1454

The OP doesn't have an issue with being gay. He's comfortable with his sexuality.

The OP has an issue with the 'type' or sexual activity he engages in as a homosexual.

I'd say the two are quite different.

And having spent a big chunk of my adult life in a heterosexual relationship and having mostly heterosexual friends, I will say that I have NEVER engaged in discussions around the 'type' of sexual activity that my wife and I or other couples we knew engaged in. And if someone had brought it up, I'd have likely laughed it off as a joke or told them that it indeed was personal and private if they persisted. It really isn't anyone's business in my opinion - and I think the opinion of most people that I know.

Now that I'm in a homosexual relationship, I don't feel a need to share with people whether I'm a 'top' or a 'bottom' any more than I felt the need before to share whether my wife and I did it 'missionary' or 'doggie style', or who was initiator, or how often we had sex, or where we had sex, etc...

I really don't think you can categorize this as heterosexism.

18. dude99

dude99 Guest

Thats a great post. :thumbsup:

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, they are, and I acknowledged that in my reply (in that I was talking about the notion of treating sexuality in general as private as being a bad thing). My response was based on Eleanor's advice, which was generic in the way it was stated:

Now maybe she meant to say: "you're not obliged to discuss your specific sexual activities with anyone" but that's not what she said in the first part. Of course no one is obliged to talk about anything with anyone. What I was getting at is that this take (that sexuality is justifiably private and that this privacy shield can be legitmately employed if you're gay) is so often advised/recommended/accepted as an approach for gay people and not, to the same extent, for straight people. And that is heterosexism at work, and very insidiously, too, because as gay people we often don't realise that "the rules" we're expected to follow about how to talk about our sexualities are quite different from the way in which straight people are expected to and get to talk about theirs.

And I'm not at all singling out Eleanor because she's straight; PLENTY of gay people make this same argument and to me it's just as problematic (if not more so) coming from them as from someone straight. It's a generic approach to non-heterosexualities that is problematic from any direction.

20. Eleanor Rigby