1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

on meds now

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Derek the Wolf, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Derek the Wolf

yep, after swearing they'd never put me on any kind of psychiatric drug, I've been prescribed sertraline. you can read up on it if you like here. frankly it has improved my mood, but I've only been on it about 2 weeks. the first week, I experienced nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth, and chest pain. all in all it was not enjoyable. fortunately I stuck with it and for the most part those side effects have dropped off. now this is just a bit of back story, considering I'm no longer experiencing these side effects.

my main concern is how well sertraline plays with alcohol. I go to the single biggest drinking school in the nation (PSU) and although I rarely drink, a friend and I were planning a little something and I want to know what I should be aware of, how I should limit myself, or if I should drinking is a smart idea at all (no obvious "drinking is bad" responses please).

I just realized how awful that sentence ^ is grammatically but I decided not to proofread it to illustrate my current state WITHOUT alcohol so you can guage how I am with it. that said, I'm not stupid, won't drive drunk, or anything like that. let's keep this discussion professional folks.

2. RaeofLite

It probably isn't. I remember being on Zoloft several years ago and I had three quarters of a cooler and felt as if I had mixed several drinks, drunk and nauseated-as if I'd had six or seven..

Then again I am female and I probably weighed less than you. Still... drugs can't seem to really work if you're drinking. Antidepressants=a boost, Alcohol=depressant... it's a bit counterintuitive... :confused: Sorry to hear about that. But it will most likely make it harder for the drugs to carry out their purpose and you might feel a drop in mood for several days after as a result. At least, I remember doing so.

3. Spectre

Bad idea. And not just because "drinking is bad."

Some studies indicate that alchohol has the effect of increasing the rate at which serotonin is released. SSRI's like Zoloft inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin. The results can be unpredictable. In RaeofLite's case, one drink felt like several. Moreover, extremely high levels of serotonin (from excessive drinking) could produce confusion or manic behaviors which may include suicidal thoughts or actions.

4. donnie5

I don't know about Zoloft (what your on) but i do know that Wellbutrin which i used to take could cause grand mal seizures when taken with alcohol, but wellbutrin was a norepenephrine reputake inhibitor, where as zoloft is an SSRI. There both antidepressants but a whole different class of drug, so my recommendation would be to ask your pharmacist next time you get it filled they will be happy to answer your question and they know the RIGHT answer.

5. Derek the Wolf

so.... no change then?

okay that was dark, even for me. both wellbutrin and SSRIs can cause seizures on their own, the risk isn't greatly affected by alcohol. my main concern here is with 2 things: emotional/mental state and long term effects (liver primarily).

I'll make an effort to talk to the doctor next time I see her but that won't be for a while. just wanted to get some other opinions on this.

6. RaeofLite

I think what Spectre meant was that if you don't have confusion or manic (anxious, uppidy feelings) already, then you'll have them afater mixing your meds and alcohol. And if you do, then there's a chance you'll feel confused(mental processing will be slower and clouded) and there may be another dip in depression because serotonin (the happy mood regulating chemical) will slow down its creation of feel good feelings after you stop drinking. And this will mess things up.

I've heard of several friends who've been on meds and they said that their doctor's told them to abstain or seriously cut back on drinking.

7. Spectre

Correct. Just because someone is on an antidepressants does not necessarily mean they are confused or manic. But the combination of alchohol and SSRI's could lead to high levels of serotonin in the brain, which can have adverse effects such as mania. And this can create a mixed episode (depression and mania simultaneously) in which there is an increased probability of suicide.

As far as your liver goes, both alcohol and Zoloft are metabolized in the liver, and taking both can stress it.

#7 Spectre, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Derek, have you considered looking at the PDR entry for the drug? It will certainly list any drug interactions and describe reports that are coincident with alcohol use. I do think that the commentary about the effect of alcohol on serotonin release and that being in conflict with an SSRI might be the most accurate and valuable comment so far.

The obvious choice is not to do it, but if that isn't an option, I would not only talk to your doctor, but do your own research in addition; keep in mind that the vast majority of education doctors receive on drugs, particularly ones that have been released since they got out of medical schools, comes from the "detail people" sent around by the drug companies, and they tend to gloss over side effects and interactions when talking to physicians. You may get better and more accurate information talking to a pharmacist, since being aware of drug interactions is pretty much all they do.

Also, keep in mind that most drugs used to treat psychological issues tend to take a couple of weeks for your body to acclimate to them. If at all possible (and assuming that simply not drinking isn't an option) I'd suggest waiting 3 or 4 weeks until you have a pretty good idea of how the drug itself makes you feel before complicating things by adding in a potentially unknown factor.

9. KaraBulut

There's not a specific contraindication to the use of Zoloft and alcohol. The drug has been tested in alcoholics to reduce craving for alcohol, so the drug has been used to treat people who consume alcohol on a regular basis.

However... I have to question the logic of drinking for someone who is depressed enough to take an antidepressant.

Alcohol is a mood-altering substance. For a lot of people, it makes for a great mood when you're drinking it and for a pretty shitty mood the day-after. If you're depressed, why would you want to take a substance that is going to make you have ups and downs in your mood?

It's kind of like asking if there's an interaction between Krispy Kreme donuts and insulin. The two things aren't going to have an adverse reaction but it just seems illogical- if you're diabetic, shouldn't you skip the donuts to begin with?

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Rather off topic, but how much has it "worked" ?

11. Derek the Wolf

So far the meds have worked pretty well. My parents are markedly easier to deal with so there's a definite improvement to my mood.

My buddy and I weren't planning on drinking for another week or so. And if I find any serious contraindications with alcohol then I understand I should avoid it. The reason we're drinking is simply to have a good time, not specifically to do anything mood-altering, and with that in mind we don't intend to drink to the point of blacking out or anything that serious. I usually never drink past the point where I'm feeling tipsy.

I do agree with some of the ideas here though. I may talk to my friend and we can postpone this little idea of ours for another week or two just so I'm better acclimated to my current state before trying anything like this. Thanks guys ^.^

12. Aoifeee

I was on Sertraline this time last year. I was incredibly cautious when I started drinking again whilst on it as I hadn't drunk for a few months beforehand, I can be a lightweight and get sick easily, and I didn't know what to expect with the sertraline in my system.The first night out drinking on it I took it easy enough and had the best time I had had in months! Mixing alcohol with the sertraline didn't seem to be any different than just being drunk and really, really happy.

The only problem I had with mixing sertraline and alcohol was that I had 0 inhibitions, I could have only two drinks in me, barely drunk, but it would be enough to throw out my usual timid, cautious nature altogether which never ever happened to me before so it was definetly because of the sertraline.

Hangovers were killer, emotionally moreso than physically, so for your own sake do no drink too much or too often, good luck!

#12 Aoifeee, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  13. Aoifeee

This could explain a lot in my case.

14. Zach

Well, speaking from my 2 year expreance with zoloft, while it initally helped me over come my panic attacks (the main reason my doctor put me on it in the first place), the overall bad side effect for me was it killed any chance of me "getting my rocks off" (for lack of a better word), it didn't matter if I was alone or with my boyfriend. :icon_sad: I finally just decided I was better off not taking the medication at all.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I understand what the "little something" you were planning was. Because I haven't found many activities that can't be performed alcohol-less. Was it just "we were gonna get a bottle of Jager and have a good time"?

Lex

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

How long did it take for the medicine to start working?

17. Derek the Wolf

More along the line of McGillicuddy's and Jack, but yes.

I understand you're interested in abnormal psychology, but I'm not here as your case study. If you want to ask stuff like this then do it privately.

18. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My interest in Abnormal Psych has nothing to do with that question. I also don't see how I'm treating you as a "case study" when all I did was ask you a question.

I asked you that question because it usually takes 3-4 weeks for SSRI's to build up in one's body and start working properly; you reported that it started working after about 2.

#18 Swamp56, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  19. Derek the Wolf

just increased dosage to 75mg

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You or the health care professional?