1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another weight loss thread...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SamAlex728, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SamAlex728

Okay, basically, I'm going back to school in September as a sophomore (have been homeschooled since 8th grade, but decided to go back), and in that 5-6 months I really want to lose 30-50lbs. Just sick of being the fat kid that only ever gets compliments on his eyes. I want high school to be different. It won't be easy, but do you guys have any good tips to get me started?

2. KaraBulut

Well, start with telling us about what you currently do for exercise and what your diet is like.

3. SamAlex728

Well, I don't exercise very much, but I've been trying to get more active lately, and for diet....
    Well, I eat chicken a lot (boneless skinless). When I get hungry in the middle of the day, I'll usually have a bowl of cheerios or a ham sandwich. Every once in awhile dinner contains lean beef. And on occasion I'll have pasta. This last month, I've really been trying to cut out junk food, but there's been a splurge here and there

Hope that tells you what you need to know....Wasn't quite sure how to answer that question.

4. Johnnieguy

*Try to exercise 4-5 times week. At first, just get started by walking around your neighborhood. Maybe get small weights you can carry and do exercises with them as you walk.

*Don't eat full sandwiches. Eat half sandwiches, or open-faced.

*Switch to whole-grain cheerios, or otherwise cut them out and replace all cereal with fruit, or veggies.

*Really, really try to limit your carbohydrate intake.

*Eat more frequently, but less at each sitting.

*Instead of pop, drink club sodas mixed with a splash of flavor.

*Drink tons and tons of water. Always have water with you to help you with this.

*Really try to minimize eating red meat. "If it doesn't swim or fly, don't eat it". Eat plenty of fish (tilapia, salmon, walleye are my favorites), chicken, and turkey. Turkey burgers taste really similar to beef. If you can't do that, try Bison burgers. Buffalo meat is leaner than beef.

I'll add more if I think of it.

5. Johnnieguy

Something else: Remember that you are only 14 and need to get all the nutrients your body needs to grow. So, your weight loss plan will be different than those of us who are adults. I would HIGHLY reccomend going to see your family doctor. Maybe s/he can refer you to a registered dietician who can give you a more complete, age-appropriate diet plan.

Try not to think of it as dieting, because that's not what you should be doing. It should be a lifestyle of eating well.