1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disability and a relationship

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by who am I, Aug 28, 2007.

1. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im getting tests done to see if I have Aspeger's Syndrome (autism)(but parents dont know im doing this) and im going to have problems with meeting new people and talking to them and having a relationship with another woman. I have all ready told parents that im a Lesbian but not sure if it feels it should be right for me.

Need some advice about what I should do.

:eusa_doh: :icon_sad:

2. xequar

Talk to Nerdtendo. I remember him saying on the boards here not that long ago that he has Asperger's, so he might have some good insights for you.

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

i hav a frend on msn that has autism n he has a gf

4. Nerdtendo

Well, your school system should have figured out that you where diffrent from others as you where younger, but As I dont know your age, you might of been at an age befor the school system enforced Special Education laws. As for meeting people socialy, just relax. If they treat you diffrently, as in just poping up to say hi unexpectently in an unusualy freindly manner that they dont normaly act in, they are simply unaware that you can function just like the rest of the world. Just tell them that you want to be treated normaly, and if they keep bugging you...then just ignor the person. ...Any more help, I'd be glad to help you out. Just ask, and you shall recive!

5. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my mum and dad took me to a doctor a few times and thought i might have autism but the doctors said no but one doctor said yes. i have always had big troubles learning at school. i find reading writing spell things wrong and have speech problems. another doctor said im dyslexic. i have a few close mates but have trouble telling people what i want and they cant under stand what i mean heaps of times!!! some times i get very up set and end up crying.
    but i want to finish my higher school exams to get a good job one day.
    i hope every thing will be better for you soon

6. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Jayden

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

but ppl wiv autism dont hav learning problem do they?? i thought there ded brainy =P

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    it's dependant on the individual and how developed it is. Somebody's been watching too much '.Grange Hill'. Hope all goes well with the tests and with your relationship

Jamie

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Lolo i dotn even watch that, my frend on msn is dedbrainy n i seen on tv there ded brainy

10. Nerdtendo

A lot of us are either normal inteligence or slightly above, but ther are some draw backs, such as we have problomes spelling (You may of seen an error or two in my typeing), We have to have things exact, and some other things. however, things do vary, so nothing is certien.

11. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

My mom thought I might have autism :tantrum: But I'm too stubborn to see if its true or not (test) but I don't think there is much thats wrong with me. Maybe since I'm not very social!? I don't know... I really and tooo quiet and shy. I don't really have much friends... I mean... I also feel weird getting close to someone :frowning2: Well, now I'm going to go read up on it. But yea I am supposedly pretty smart :grin:

12. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

"Contrary to common belief, autistic children do not prefer to be alone. Making and maintaining friendships often proves to be difficult for those with autism. For them, the quality of friendships, not the number of friends, predicts how lonely they are."

Maybe its true :confused:

"Autistic children may have difficulty with imaginative play and with developing symbols into language"

But I used to always play with my little toys =O I used to have a great immagination..

Well, there is a few signs, maybe just my socialness, but some of them which I have since grown out of :slight_smile: But a lot of what wikipedia says does NOT apply to me :grin:

13. xxAngelOnFirexx

i don't know too much about autism. my moms old friend had a son with it and he wasn't that out of the ordinary. he was in 3rd grade when he should be in 6th and he wasn't too social but he wasn't crazy or anything. i remember he had a crush on me and my sister. only 1-2 years difference in age. i have borderline personality disorder and i am limited. my disease says that i have a hard time with relationships. i shouldn't be able to marry because of the problems but i am going to prove them all wrong and date and marry anyway. do whatever you want and don't let any diagnosis limit you. don't feel that you have to act like the symtoms you can break free and even if you are shy or such you can still hold a relationship, if you want to that is. if you didn't want to that is when you wouldn't be able too.

14. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I could probably hold a relationship but I dunno, I mean if anyone knew the really me nobody would like me :frowning2: Cause well, frankly, I think I'm weird... but not like a bad kind of weird, I am nice and stuff, just my interests are different, like I like anime, some games I know nobody likes and stuff which I don't know anyone who likes and stuff so yea... but I think I've come a long way from when I was a child, even though I was not shy when I was a kid I would just throw away a relationship for every little thing and the next day I'd have a bunch of new friends... but now I can't do that anymore anyways so I guess I've learned to take a lot and forgive and forget easier. Like lets say someone makes me made I would used to just not even be there friend anymore and now I'm willing to forgive more, which is good =) And I'm more accepting of people's imperfections, but I find it hard to get to know people cause most people I like I don't have much in common with, and the people I do have stuff in common with I don't really like cause I think they are weird, since I am myself weird in my opinion D:

BUT ANYWAYS, babble babble babble, sorry I am going on. I think I'm pretty much normal except socially.

Since I used to get mad easy I think I've come far since I've learned to deal with a lot of crap and not to get mad. I try to keep at least on neutral ground with EVERYONE even people I hate...

But, yea, there, I am done =P