1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible Posture

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Mar 31, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

I know I've never had the best posture. However, lately, I've noticed when working out at the gym I have horrible posture. When I try to stand "normally" from what I see in the pictures of how to do the stretches and exercizes, I seem to either bend like a U, with my hips farther back than my stomach, and my shoulders back where my hips are, or with my shoulders too far forward. I also either lean forward too much in class. :confused:

I'm hoping to correct or learn to posture better for my health. I'm trying not to pack so many books into my backpack when I go to school and to put both backpack straps on at a time instead of just my right shoulder because I'm sure that throws off posture as well.

If anyone has advice or helpful hints please send them my way. :slight_smile:

2. Johnnieguy

Core/strength training does wonders.

3. Spectre

Go get it checked out. Poor posture can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition.

:lol: I'm just kidding. I hear yoga can help for posture.

4. RaeofLite

...:eek: Telling me everything is wrong with me now, eh? Eh?? :lol:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Johnnie & Spectre have good points. yoga will help stretch your back while core muscle training will help improve your posture.

I had/have horrible posture and back had started taking a turn for the worse my doctor recomened I start strength exercising. Stat with your lower body, legs butt, abs. A strong lower body helps support the upper body.

6. Prccgeek

hey, had major posture problems. (I walked on my toes, instead of heel to toe, until I was 11 years old...I know...it was weird!) I would always get sick of people making comments about my posture and not thinking I was as confident or having it distract in my auditions (I sing and act and stuff) but I learned about this kind of "therapy" called Alexander Technique through the theatre community. I tried it out and it made a huge difference. Many actors and performers to it, but anyone could use it.
    It is hard to explain what they do. They sort of maneuver you around and sort of reteach you to sit and stand and walk. It is strange and seems weird and almost pointless while you are doing it, but it is really helpful. I am probably not explaining it well; it is hard to describe, but if you are interested, you could see if anyone teaches it around where you live. just an option.