1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing Sea Legs on Dry Land

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by biisme, Apr 10, 2010.

1. biisme

So, for the past few days I've been feeling really off-balance when I look up or down. It's very odd, because I've never experienced something like this before. It's not that "head-rush" feeling you get when you stand up too fast. It's like being on a boat and the whole world starts tilting and moving. I've had it happen every time my eyes weren't 'mostly' level, but the more I look down/look up the worse it gets. Sometimes I bend down to pick something up and I need to grab onto a chair or table to stop from falling over. And, it doesn't clear up after a few seconds; but I usually leave the position fairly quickly due to the sensation. I was just going to ride whatever it is out, but now I've started getting nauseous when it happens, almost like "motion-sickness, and a mild headache. Anyone ever had this happen to them before, or know what could be going on?

2. Chandra

This sounded familiar to me, and then I realized there was a character who had this problem in one of my favourite books ever! (Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver.) So maybe you have the same problem he did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPPV

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Sounds like something is a bit off with your vestibular system. Do you have an ear infection or something of the sort? Sometimes excess fluid in the ear can throw your equilibrium off and make you feel dizzy and like things are spinning.

4. biisme

It sounds like it might be BPPV from the link you posted, Chandra.

Phoenix, I haven't had an ear infection in years. I haven't had a cold in months. I also haven't had a head injury. I just woke up a couple days ago, got up, bent over to pick up some pants and almost fell on my ass, but caught the edge of the bed.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Any possibility you could be pregnant?

6. biisme

^^ Nope, not a chance. :slight_smile:

7. KaraBulut

These things are usually related to inner ear syndromes- anything from seasonal allergies to a more complicated problem like Meneire's syndrome can trigger vertigo.

You should make an appointment with your doctor this week and have it checked.