1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fruit juice

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lychee, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Lychee

Okay, this probably doesn't merit its own thread, however I don't really know where else to post it, so yes.

Recently, I've been on a low-calorie diet for weight loss (about 1100 calories a day). I've pretty much stopped drinking anything apart from water, and occasionally black coffee.
    Anyway, today, I decided to have some juice, which I used to drink pretty regularly, but I took one sip and was like "eew, that's way too sweet" and I had to dilute it three parts water to two parts of juice, and even so it still tasted pretty sickly sweet.
    Is this normal? Bearing in mind that this is 100% fruit juice, no added sugar or anything.
    And does anyone experience the same thing?
    It slightly worries me.

2. Chandra

No, I often dilute fruit juice because I find it too sweet. You've probably just re-adjusted your taste buds after cutting back on sweet foods, which is not a bad thing. What kind of juice was it?

3. Lychee

'Twas apple juice. And apple & pear juice. (I tried two to see whether it was a dodgy thing of juice, or if it was me, hah)

4. Mogget

Apple juice can be sickeningly sweet, even for a major sweet tooth like me. Try cranberry or orange.

5. KaraBulut

Commercial juices are often made from concentrate or sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. You might check in the health food or children's section of the store for an organic or natural juice instead.

While we're on the subject- an 1100kcal diet is a bit too low in calories. Is this a meal plan diet?

6. Zumbro

I agree with Kara about the 'from concentrate' bit. I can't drink Welch's or any of that stuff anymore. For me it has to be 100% juice, not from concentrate. A bit more expensive, but you can definitely tell the difference.

7. Sylver

Let me join the club here... I only drink 100% real juices - not even concentrate. And I usually them 50-50 with water, sometimes more. I've kicked off the sweets (a major weakness of mine) a few years ago and ever since I can't handle such concentrations of sugar.

This worries you? I'd say this is a healthy change for the better! :slight_smile:

8. CAERismatic

i'm going to have to say that that is not a normal reaction to a low calorie diet. i'm a recovered anorexic and i've never experienced that. i know no one who has. generally your body should crave the sugar and yes, while things will end up tasting too sweet because you're not used to it you should never have to dilute the juice THAT much unless you were sensitive to sugar in the first place.

9. Lychee

I do drink 'not from concentrate' juice :\
    In Australia fresh fruit juice is a lot more common (yay Australia!)
    This is weird. I'll ask my doctor coz I'm going in there for a blood test anyway.

And 1100 calories is fine apparently for my height/weight and exercise level. Or at least, I'm hoping it's fine. It's not a meal plan or anything, it's just me being obsessive over everything that I eat, and eating a lot more salads and less processed things.

10. Elesbian47

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did you kick your sweets habit? I need to.