1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss & Exercise

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I'm aware im posting lots of stuff on here and I want to thank everyone who has been kind enough to answer all my questions

====================================================================

I'm a big guy, I'm overweight and falling within the extremely obese range on the BMI scale. I'm trying to get in shape and lose weight and I've made some good headway. I've lost 15 lbs in the past month and all i've changed so far is stopped drinking soda. But I need to lose alot more weight to be healthy. I won't say exactly how much, because it's alot and I don't like it. What kind of exercises and such could I do that isn't going to kill me (not literally) that will let me lose weight at a safe speed. I am very well aware that to reach my goal weight it could easily take 2-3 years. I'm prepared for that possibility.

Ah what the heck, heres my weight and goals

Goal weight 200 lbs
    Ideal weight according to height/weight charts is anywhere from 160-180

Actual weight - 379
    Most I weighed - 396

Any suggestions

2. MusicIsLife

Well for me what I do is I bike to school and back, which is roughly 6km each way or 3 miles. if that's too extreme for you, you could always try power walking partway to work or school.

With my being Vegan and all, that combination usually helps me lose weight.

3. KaraBulut

It's good that you're taking these steps.

Your first stop needs to be your doctor. You've reached a point where you may need to determine if the additional weight is causing other complications such as diabetes or you may have an underlying problem like thyroid disease.

A structured program such as Weight Watchers or Overeaters Anonymous will also help. Working out with a trainer or joining an exercise program for people in your circumstance will also help give you the structure that you need to get back in shape and lose the weight.

The important thing at this point is to walk. Very basic exercises like walking and working with resistance bands will help you trim the weight to a point where you're able to resume more intense exericse like running, swimming and cycling. Starting with a simple program like 10,000 steps (http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html) will help.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok first thing to point is when first start working out is to not push yourself too hard at the start. Going from a cycle of non-activity to heavy activity is assult on your body.

That said, cardio is the best fat burner I know of. Cardio can be anything that keeps you moving, not just running. Walking in place and clapping your hands for 30 miuntes is good starting point.

5. Sylver

Because this question is coming up more frequently on EC than the dandelions in my lawn, I've posted my story and weight loss tips in a blog;

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/blog.php?b=3003

I hope there's something there that can help you! :slight_smile: