1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After all that weight loss...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zume, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Zume

As many people have already heard.. I broke that 100 lb weight loss mark. However now I am experiencing a rather..emberassing and irritating issue.. loose skin and stretch marks. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this? It's an eyesore even to me... I've tried drinking a lot of water, sit-ups, crunches, swimming..nothing seems to help quite enough. Should I just continue execising and hope it tightens up after a while?

2. ThePug

How long were you overweight and how much you weighed are going to determine if it bounces back. It may take time and since you're 21, you still have a good chance that they will go away. If not, surgery would be required to remove the extra skin. Until it goes back or you have surgery, I would think of it as a reminder of how far you have come and use it to know that you're never going to go back to that weight.

3. Zume

Was overweight for about 9 years..peaked at 295 lbs..down to 195-200..so I am decorated with stretch marks :dry: It just bugs me.

4. Sylver

Hmm.... ditto here... went from 260 to around 200... Same issues, and I have no answers. That was 4 years ago. I will say that the loose skin did seem to eventually "tighten up" on its own. The stretch marks not so much... :icon_sad:

So I'll be watching this thread carefully for tips.

5. KaraBulut

A 100 pound weight loss is significant. Fortunately, you did it while you were still very young.

Because of your age, you will have some retraction of the skin and you will see the stretch marks lighten to a more silver color (unless you have darker skin).

Depending on your skin type and other factors, you may reach a limit where you will plateau and the skin will not retract anymore. If it is a problem for you or you have problems with excess skin in areas that are problematic, there are surgical procedures that you can have to remove the skin (probably the most common of which is the abdominoplasty or "tummy tuck").

6. Well i think I'm screwed then. My problem is, once i hit my goal weight, I'll have lost almost 200 lbs and that surgery leaves you with ridiculous scars, doesn't it?

7. What if, while losing weight, someone did weight training at the same time to build muscle? Would that help? Or would it not?

8. RaeofLite

Well... I have stretch marks. *shrug* No, I'm not happy with them. But if they are still pink in colour, there's a chance that you can make them fade a little. Talk to a doctor about helping with that. As for loose skin, if it's that much of an issue, you can only really try to keep strength training and build muscle to make it look better. At least that' what I think.

9. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Tone tone tone tone it up, get ripped. Congrats on the weight loss! Now go from flab to fab and develop your body to be cut.
    Also cocoa butter-rub it in everyday, works wonders.
    :wink:

10. KaraBulut

The scars are usually hidden under clothing or on the underside of the arms, the lower back, etc.

The most common surgery- the tummy stuck- leaves a scar slighly below the beltline- much like a caesarian scar. The only person who would ever see these scars are people who see you naked.