1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Fingers?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Holly27, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Holly27

Well, this has been going on for a little while, and it's kind of creeping me out.

I first noticed this during a particularly stressful week of college. I had no idea where to go with an English essay, and I was tired of staring at Microsoft Office Word, so I went to play Harvest Moon. Many possible thesis statements came to mind, but I digress. :slight_smile:

In the middle of the game, I happened to notice that my fingers looked a little blue. I chalked it up to how chilly the room was, put down the Wii remote, and went to warm my hands.

And it keeps happening, but it usually clears up after a little while. And I don't seem to have any other symptoms. I don't have any numbness, tingling, or pain - just bluish fingers for brief periods of time.

When I went in for my check-up earlier this week, the doctor didn't notice anything weird. And my blood pressure and pulse were normal, and the pulse oximetry test looked good, too.

I suppose the obvious thing to do is go is go back in... even though the very idea of setting foot in a clinic scares me badly. :icon_redf

Does anyone have a similar problem, or advice?

2. KaraBulut

It's a matter of degrees.

In response to cold, it's not uncommon for the nailbeds to turn a bluish-purple color.

In extreme cases, there are vasomotor syndromes like Reynaud's phenomenon or migraine syndromes that can make the fingers and toes blanch white or dark blue.

3. RaeofLite

I have the exact same thing. I've had it for a few years now. The tips of my fingers and toes are constantly a little pink. When I go through periods of emotional upheaval, or if I smoke or if it's really cold they'll turn a darker pink/white/purple and it looks like I've become a corpse. ><

The best thing you can do:
    -keep warm. If you're in a cold environment, change it, or wear gloves/mits/hold onto a luke warm waterbottle (not hot since apparently that aggravates it)
    -try to keep stressfree if possible
    -don't smoke

If you're worried, talk to your doctor.

4. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I have, like KaraBulut mentioned, Reynaud's Disease. It causes my hands and feet (particularly the fingers and toes) to almost always feel cold and appear whitish-purple.

I agree with Lisa's tips. Wear gloves; try to stay as warm as possible. And stress can be a big cause of it for me, too.

5. KatieIt

Another Reynaud's victim here :wink:
    I second what the other posters said, wear gloves (i wear them even when I work at the computer) and do a little exercise (like squeeze one of those stress balls) to improve blood circulation in your hands.

6. Holly27

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Wearing gloves seems to be helping a lot. :slight_smile: Though it does confuse my dad. XD