1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

healthy foods for people who dont like healthy food?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 17, 2010.

1. i guess the title is self explanatory enough. Im not a big fan of anything healthy outside apples, oranges, lettuce and tomatoes. and onions. And I don't even eat those very often. Any suggestions? (trying to lose weight)

2. Johnnieguy

Ok. You need to reprogram yourself to not enjoy processed food. If it comes in a box or a bag, try not to eat it. Try to eat 80% of your calories from foods that you find in the outer ring of your grocery store. Stay away from the inner aisles like the plague!

If you do want something unhealthy, make it healthy! Ie, if you want mac n cheese, don't buy it out of a box. Go buy the noodles, make your own cheese sauce, and add veggies to it.

If you have a craving for chicken nuggets, buy in the frozen food section chicken nuggets that are made from all-white breast meat and stuff w/o preservatives. It will be more expensive, but it's sooo much better for you :slight_smile:

Buy frozen veggie/fruit mixes...They often have more nutrition than the fresh stuff since they are frozen soon after picking and will have more nutrient retention. Also, a lot of stuff freezes REALLY well, so when blueberries are $2/box, stock up! Put them in freezer bags and save them for December when it's cold, dreary, and produce is more expensive.

Eat lots of:
    -Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc
    -Avocados
    -Bananas
    -Watermelon
    -Fish and chicken. If it doesn't fly or swim, don't eat it
    -Eggs
    -Chives
    -Carrots
    -Almonds! Or any nuts...not too heavily salted or flavored.
    -Broccoli
    -Bell peppers!! Yummy!!
    -Cucumber
    -Cous-cous
    -Yogurt
    -Cheese...There are so many good kinds. Just eat real stuff, preferrably from a cheese shop, or a gourmet grocer. Don't buy pre-sliced stuff...Buy cheese that comes in a wheel or wedge.
    -Olives

*If you can't stomach a lot of veggies, cut them up and serve them in your meat sauce for pasta (preferrably whole-grain)

Now. I'm going to make an assumption here. I'm going to assume you are referring to iceberg lettuce when you say that's what you enjoy. Expand your horizons. There are endless (and healthier) lettuce options out there: arugula, mache are my favorites.

Try this recipe: portabella mushrooms (stuffed with the stem ground up w/ parmesean cheese (good stuff, not kraft), garlic, pank italian bread crumbs and olive oil-mixed together) then pop in the oven for a few min.

3. Jim1454

I can't remember the last time a flock of chickens few over... but it is good for you to eat. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Soy nuts - unsalted - are a good snack. As are almonds.

Lower your carbs (bread, pasta) and increase your protein and veggies.

Exercise too.

4. Holly27

I know it doesn't really seem like a food thing, but my advice is to be careful about what you drink. Sodas (even the diet ones), really sweet fruit drinks, milkshakes, and slushies often contain a lot of calories and sugar, and it all adds up and can make it hard to lose weight.

A few months after I gave up soda and started drinking plain water and minimally-sweetened tea, I had lost about thirty pounds. So far, I've kept all that weight from coming back. :slight_smile:

5. MusicIsLife

First I would highly recommend getting your butt over the a bookstore and look for the book series Eat This, Not That! It's not healthy per se, but it does help when you're going out to eat picking the lesser of the evils, so to speak.

You gotta learn to like veggies, lots of grains, nuts, seeds, and healthy oils like sunflower, olive, flax, etc.

By grains I dont mean eat more bagels I mean cook with Quinoa[Keen-wah], buckwheat, amaranth, brown rice, and so on. Try researching superfoods online, and it'll give you a general idea of what the best veggies you could be eating are, for example blueberries, coconut milk, avocado, and so on.

Cut down on the meat as much as possible, eat beans more, and learn to like tea :slight_smile:

6. 4 seat

I got the Eat This, Not That! books and they help so much. So many things that you think aren't bad for you really are and the other way too. Also, Fiberone has this really good caramel delight cereal that I eat all the time that's supposed to be really good for you. And learn to love veggies. To me they taste best grilled and are still healthy too. I can't cut down on meat, I love meat.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

If you want to lose weight, make sure you eat your 5 a day, go to the gym, drink penty of water. Theres plenty of healthy food thats tastes niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice, like....salads, ermmm...... sushi (I think?), rice, theres too much i can't think of any.

Soya milks good for you, maybe try herbal soup?

8. Gambit

Give up sweetened cereal. Buy cereal with high fiber content and sugar amounts. Preferably, eat your cereal with skim milk. If the cereal is not sweet enough for you, add a little bit of brown sugar. You can also buy plain oatmeal,cook it, and eat it with brown sugar and any fruit you like (bananas, strawberries, raisins, etc). Oatmeal is great, it keeps you full longer than cereal and it lowers your cholesterol