1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Condom issues

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all, i'm having problems finding condoms that don't choke me.

The largest nominal width ones i can find are 59mm and even they leave an angry red ring and are quite uncomfortable. Is there any way to tell exactly what nominal width i should be looking for? I suppose once i know that i can go hunting on the net for what i'm after.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried the Magnum ones? (Do they even still make those?) You might also try rolling the condom out and stretching it out before slipping it on. Condoms are supposed to fit snugly, but aren't supposed to be tight.

Lex

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Magnum ones....? they might not be available here. I just did a google search, and i've never even heard of the 'trojan' brand.

as for that suggestion, i guess it's worth a try but i'd still prefer to find something that's convenient and ready to go from the packaging.

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I may not be the most educated person to respond to this, but I'm currently hooking up with a fellow who is quite large so I have a bit of advice to pass on.

I keep my bedside stocked with condoms of various sorts, but he found that they were all uncomfortably tight. He apparently prefers the Lifestyle brand which I believe are also sold in Australia (according to their website). A quick look through seems to show that their largest width is 58mm, but I don't think that will be the best indicator. Unless you are super-uber huge (at which point it may be necessary to specially order them online), I believe that you should simply try a bunch of different kinds until you find the right one. Try to find a place like a university sex-shop where they sell the condoms as singles at cost for poor students.

#4 Numfarh, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  5. KaraBulut

In a public health class that I taught a few years back, I used to stretch a condom and put it over my fist. Standard condoms are much more accommodating that people think.

The Magnum and Magnum XL condoms are made by Trojan. They're not that much bigger than a standard condom but they are more tapered so that they don't pinch around the head and shaft. But they are tight around the base, as all condoms are designed to be.

You can try a polyurethane condom and see if it is not as confining and the band pinches less.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm wistfully looking at a box of those right now, wishing they worked better than they do =(

i'll have a look online, these magnums sound interesting

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I use magnums, they're quite good.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>In a public health class that I taught a few years back, I used to stretch a condom and put it over my fist. Standard condoms are much more accommodating that people think.

In my sex education class (way back in college), my professor put a condom over his head and blew it up using his nose. Afterwards, he said "If ever your boyfriend says he won't wear a condom because they're too small, remember the size of my head...and run like hell." :grin:

Lex

9. KaraBulut

Actually, I tried the over-the-head example but unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to get the condom off your head without ripping out parts of your hair. :slight_smile:

10. Corny

Corny Guest

Another brand for "bigger" condoms is "Big Ben" or Durex Comfort XL - maybe you can get those in Australia.
    The problem is not getting a too small condom on (as it has been pointed out they can "fit" on your head), but that a too tight rubber ring on the base might restrain your bloodflow and make it uncomfortable.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this seems to be the problem

12. Gumtree

So.... come here often?

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Might I just add that if you go with the Magnums, to go for Magnum Thins if possible? I am not quite sure if you will notice much difference, but I can promise that it will be even better for whoever your partner might be.

14. Corny

Corny Guest

^ thinner condoms are not really advisable for anal sex - since anal sex tends to be a bit "rougher" :slight_smile:

15. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

The inclusion of "if possible" to my recommendation was done with consideration to what you have said. My boyfriend and I have been using thins for a while and have never had any problems. However, neither of us have an STD and we use condoms merely for the sake of cleanliness. Were I to have sex with someone who had and STD, or who I did not know very well, I wouldn't choose to go with thin. Since I didn't know Psuedojim's exact situation, I just wanted to be sure he was aware of the option :slight_smile:.

16. Techcompu2

1) I don't have much advice, other than what's already been said.

2) Great quote. lol :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Uhm, I know this had a different question but since we are on the subject of condoms...
    Alright, I'm having my own condom issues as well, 1)the condom feels weird and 2)I hate how it kind of scrunches up and down in the 'motions'. Or how it won't go any further down, and theres that inch of exposed dick that is just uncomfortable.

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm seeing a girl at the moment, no anal involved just yet (and perhaps not ever... she's only small)

thanks for the tip, might be worth a try