1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss & Exercise 2

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 22, 2010.

1. As already discussed, I need to lose weight and I have a doctors appointment in July. Should I try and get a jump start on weight loss, like getting a weight bench or gym membership? Or as much as I weigh (the closet was bad for me, it was a candy closet) should i wait for the doctors advice?

2. Johnnieguy

Alter your diet first and go on walks. Also, see if you can find a place with a lot of stairs you can walk up and down. You'll feel dumb but it will help get you started. Don't do anything drastic before getting the advice of a doctor.

3. RaeofLite

First, do you like the gym? Meaning, in the past have you ever tried a gym and thought it was ok? I wouldn't buy a membership unless you know you can stick to it and have tge willpower to stick to it. Otherwise it's a total waste of money. If you want, maybe try dropping in for a session or asking to speak to a trainer?

But honestly, if you're going to lose weight, it has to be something active that you'll enjoy. Some people get bored easily so they have to switch up their routines-meaning, you'll have to maybe swim one day, power walk the next, run the next, rollerblade the next etc, so you don't get bored and stop again.

Diet is important though... look at the Health Food Guide (google), and make sure you're getting Wholegrains, veggies/fruit, meat and some dairy. It's not easy, but keep picturing yourself strong and powerful. :slight_smile:

4. KaraBulut

What you need is an exercise program. A gym is a good place to start. But it requires motivation to go- otherwise you're just wasting money on gym fees.

If you have a friend who works out, then tag along and see if you enjoy it. Find out if the gym has trainers who can help you put together a routine. Find out what type of aerobic exercise classes they like.

In addition, walking, jogging, swimming are good exercises that you can do and they don't require a gym membership.

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I am going to suggest this as well. It is much cheaper than a gym membership, and it is what worked for me. I lost quite a bit of weight the summer before I went to college by walking. I felt quite silly, (and ended up wearing out a trail in my backyard) but I would literally go outside for like two hours and just speed walk in circles around my backyard while listening to my iPod. That along with an improved diet worked pretty well for me. You might also try to throw in just a little weightlifting (or crunches, pushups, etc.) to build muscle, since that will help increase your metabolism. You're not going to shed a bunch of pounds overnight, but if your wanting to be healthy, you shouldn't be trying to do that anyways.

6. What I'm thinking about doing is getting a weight set for the garage and using that, combined with walking more. I've already started drinking more water, less soda, and cutting back on what I eat. Now I've got to get active and eat healthier.

7. Jim1454

Less soda? Try NO soda. It's pure sugar that your body happily stores away immediately.

Weights are good - because the more muscle you have the more energy you burn all the time. So it starts to increase your energy consumption while at the same time you will be reducing the energy you consume.

The risk with weights though is you need to know what you're doing. Find some kind of workout plan online that has instructions of what to do. Or a book. Personally, I wouldn't have had a clue if I wasnt' watching a DVD that showed me.

Throw in a bit of jogging - but just a bit - to keep your heart rate up while walking. Not so high that your head is pounding and you feel light headed.

I'm sure you doctor would tell you to be more active and to eat a healthier diet. That generally means reducing fat and sugar and carbs and increasing fruits and vegetables and possibly proteins. So starting all that now shouldn't be a problem.

8. Gambit

Don't drink soda! It has a lot of calories. And dont drink diet soda either, it makes you more be more hungry -it's a science fact-. Avoid driking fruit juice, unless you make it at home, because comercial juices usually have lots of sugar!

Lifting weights is not enough to lose weight, you need to do cardio too. Try finding a sport that you enjoy; in that way you will be more constant about it and burn some calories.

Good luck!

9. Jerr

YOGA.

Weights are great. Walking/Jogging. Great.

YOGA is something I suggest to everyone! Why? I highly enjoy it.

If anything... it is an hour (maybe a bit more or a bit less) that you don't have to think about anything. It doesn't just help your body but your mind as well.

As far as what it does for your body... build muscle is one thing but the main thing I love... Flexibility. Muscle is sexy and everything but flexibility is hot. (Not fit in a suit case but just being a bit more flexibly.) Also... less enjuries happen to you. Now of course stretching should/will be a part of your work out you decide to do.

I'd suggest starting out... walk. walk for a while then get somewhere and stretch a bit. Lightly. You need to warm up the muscles before you really stretch them. Then walk/jog/stairs for a while then end with walking for a bit then STRETCH. You'll be surprised how much flexibility you can gain in a short period of time. (Downside... you lose it much faster. haha.)

Anyways, if somewhere offers Yoga, I suggest you check it out. There are MANY different types of yoga so I'd say try out a few different styles before you give up on it.

p.s. Do NOT go into yoga thinking it will be easy. Just figured I'd warn you.

10. So even though I'm overweight I can probably still do yoga? I had heard about it and thought about it, but never tried it

11. Darkwing65

Yoga is so awesome! It's great to get the body, mind, and soul in shape. I love it. My advise is shop around different places and see which style of yoga you like better. Personally i like hatha yoga, with an instructor who doesn't treat it like a Western exercise and more of an eastern art. Yoga is absolutely fantastic for everything and anything that ails you.

12. Jerr

I like different types of Yoga. I take it at the college and in previous semesters, 2 teacher did team teaching. One on Tuesdays, the other on Thursdays. The great thing was I got to see two different teachers styles. They both had some things that meshed but the difference helped.

I'm a big fan of "Power" Yoga. Basically you do multiple poses in a row with each breath. (Sometimes hold a pose for multiple breaths.) One Yoga Teacher of mine would play like 80s/70s music while doing it to lighten the mood for a day. (It's Raining men was one of the songs. haha love it!)

Even if you are overweight, you can still do yoga. The great thing about it is you can adjust poses to help with like a belly or something along those lines.

For example. You see someone pull one leg behind their head... There is another variation of that pose for those who can't really do that yet. haha. I personally can't and probably won't ever be able to but it is something I learned to love in Yoga. It is non competitive and you just have to let your ego go!

Gah, I could just go on and on about yoga! haha.