1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've been feeling....well i'm not sure

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, May 3, 2010.

1. If I'm feeling depressed or if its anxiety or something? I am starting college this fall so there will be a major life change there. I wake up in the morning and I feel scared sometimes, usually precipitated by an unusually dark nightmare like I had before I woke up and posted this..

a.) how can I stop the nightmares
    b.) how can I feel happy all the time and make these feelings go away
    c.) am i depressed or is this the fear related to the nightmare
    d.) if i'm depressed what do I do, or
    e.) how can I stop feeling afraid

2. Eleanor Rigby

Well, first thing I am not a therapist, and I haven't done psychology studies, so all I am going to say is based on my own experience of depression and anxiety issues of the past 18 years and the readings I have done because of this, but this isn't going to be a professional advice.

Nightmares are the way your unconscious mind is dealing with problems you encounter in your life. It's not unhealthy to have nightmares, because it means you're brain is dealing with your problems and find a way to evacuate some of the things that are bothering you. But, the fact to have reccurent nightmares, especially as they affect your mood, might also means that you may need a bit of help to deal with the issues you have.
    I can't tell if you're depressed of not, because depression is something that can't be self diagnosed or diagnosed other the internet, even by a professional. But from what you said, it seems that you're anxious about something (is it or not related to the fact you're going to start college, that's something I can't tell).
    What I suggest is that as it's bothering you, it's worth trying to talk about it to a therapist. Sometimes, it only takes to explain how you feel to someone else to understand things about yourself you wouldn't have understand alone.
    Maybe you can start making an appointment with your school counselor. Either they'll be able to help you themselves, or leads you to an appropriate therapist. You may also want to talk about this with your physician, they may help you deal with anxiety.

If you ever want to discuss this further, you're very welcome to pm me anytime.
    Take care (*hug*)

3. Jim1454

All I can say is - this will never happen. None of us feels happy ALL THE TIME. Feelings of fear and anxiety are normal. Those feelings are often what motivate us to do things and get things done.

It's when the fear and anxiety immobilize us that they become a problem. If they are keeping you from doing things that you know deep down you should be doing, then you have a problem. It's at that point that perhaps you should talk to someone. Either a friend or family member - or a professional. Just talking out loud about the things that are bothering us (like going away to school next year) reduces the power that they have over us.