1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perhaps I should go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SolitaryKnight, May 3, 2010.

1. SolitaryKnight

I have contracted some type of stomach flu from a friend. This morning I had my first wave of vomiting and while painful, it was fine.

However I just had my second wave, and all that came out was the water I drank and a thick yellow substance (bile most likely). I wonder if this is serious and I should go to a hospital? Info and advice greatly appreciated.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Go. If you're having trouble keeping any fluids down, you might be heading towards dehydration. And having been there not once but twice, trust me - it ain't pretty.

Lex

3. Eleanor Rigby

I'm not sure that's necessary to go to the hospital, but it could definitly help to see a doctor. (So that at least he can give you something against nausea)
    Until there, don't forget to drink so that you won't be dehydrated. Water at the temperature of the room with a tea spoon of sugar melt in it (so that you won't have hypoglycemia troubles either).
    If you get diarrhoea, try to eat a little bit of rice (not brown rice) and drink the cooking water after it cooled of a little.
    And check your temperature, if you have some fever, it is necessary to see a doctor in case you have some kind of infection.
    Take care of yourself and I hope you'll get better soon (*hug*)

4. SolitaryKnight

Thanks guys.

I do I know when severe dehydration has hit?

5. Eleanor Rigby

You can't, especially as you have stomach flu in the same time. Dehydratation can make you feel dizzy, can give you nausea and fever, all symptomes you may also have with stomach flu. The best thing to do is to try to see a doctor, and to keep taking fluids regularly, and after every time you throw up.

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you ever question whether you should go to the hospital, then you should go to the hospital.

If you can't hold down fluid, then you run the risk of dehydration.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I do I know when severe dehydration has hit?

Symptoms can vary, but in me, the symptoms included exceptionally dry lips, an inability to lie still, a stabbing pain through my stomach, and attempting to hold rational conversations with my cat. I'm not kidding about that last part.

Lex

8. Jim1454

I would say that if you're still not able to hold anything down tomorrow you should see your doctor. To me - what you're describing sounds like a pretty typical stomach flu. A few hours isn't much to be worried about.

9. KaraBulut

Most stomach flus and food poisoning run their course after about 24 hours.

Dehydration in infants and young children can be very serious. Since you're age 24, you're at lower risk than a child or young adolescent for dehydration.

If, after 24 hours, you're still unable to keep fluids down and you begin running a fever above 101.5F or you develop diarrhea in addition to the vomiting, then you should contact your doctor or visit the ER.

10. SolitaryKnight

Well, I went to the hospital, and basically turned around the second I saw the long line which means I would have been there for hours (probably still be there had I stayed). So then I dropped by the store and got some Pepto Bismol tablets and apple juice. I have puked since around 12pm, and I have actually kept the liquids down. The diarrhea is still present, but I have water and juice after every spurt.

I still feel like a mess, but I'm not as worried since my stomach isn't bothering me. I'll see how I make it through the evening. I already called my work and told them I wouldn't be in because I didn't want to wait.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

11. KaraBulut

You might also consider adding Gatorade or a electrolyte replacement once you're able to keep fluids down. Then progress to adding crackers and see how you do with that.

The first day of these things is miserable- queasy, achy joints and muscles, etc. But it usually passes after the first day.

12. Eleanor Rigby

Just that you know, apple juice may not be the best idea right now. It's laxative. So if it's the only thing that you want to take now, it's fine, but don't drink too much of it (I'd say no more that 2 glasses in 12 h) and keep drinking water too.

13. SolitaryKnight

New question. I have been having diarrhea all day too, at first it was fine. But now I'm getting a little worried. From a line in South Park, its like piss coming from my ass. At first it was creamy in colour, but over the last few hours its getting much darker. The last one was nearly black.

Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?

BTW Elenor, I haven't been drinking much apple juice, just a swig here and there, usually followed by a glass of water.

14. adam88

I'm a veteran at stomach flus. Yeah- the flu (bacteria actually, not influenza which is a virus) makes your digestive system hit the "reset" button, and it flushes everything straight through for a while. Bowel movements can get disturbing.

The black part might be a bit disturbing, though. Karabulut can verify, but isn't black stool a symptom of bleeding somewhere in the digestive tract?

15. Eleanor Rigby

The classic diet for having your stools back to normal is : cooked white rice, cooked carrots, bananas and yoghurt to seed your inteslinal flora.
    Keep drinking fluids, and honestly, I'll drop the apple juice if I were you. You really don't need anything that could be laxative.

16. KaraBulut

This is sounding very much like a stomach virus or a mild food poisoning. Diarrhea often begins about the time that the vomiting stops.

The diet that Eleanor mentions is what we call a BRATTY diet- bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea and yogurt. These are foods that are gentle on the stomach, are rich in fluid and in the case of yogurt, help normalize the helpful bacteria in the intestine.

If it becomes very unfortable, there are anti-spasmodics like Immodium that you can purchase that will help slow the diarrhea and cramping but I usually recommend these after trying the diet changes.