1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

protein bars

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Taurusguy92, May 4, 2010.

1. Taurusguy92

Ok so I've been trying to build some muscle, and I think it's there, just a layer of fat is covering it. So from what I've been reading it suggested more protein. Of course I thought protein shakes originally, but I've also heard that those were bad for you. So I'm wondering about protein bars. I have some but I'm wondering exactly how to use them. Like should I just eat them, or should I eat them specifically before I go do something active. Like not necessarily lift, but like go to a martial arts class or something. Responses would be appreciated

2. KaraBulut

The best source of protein? Milk, cheese, eggs and meat.

Protein supplements- shakes and bars- are convenient and great if you're on the go. And if the choice is between a chocolate bar or a protein bar, by all means eat the protein bar.

Just what the carb content and sugar substitutes that can be in these bars. If eating a protein bar also means consuming 30 grams of sugar or a sugar alcohol (like mannitol, glycol, xylitol, sorbitol, etc), then you'd be better to stick with natural sources like meat, cheese, etc.

Protein is most effective when you consume it before a workout that tears down muscle since your body needs protein to repair and build muscle. Consuming it before martial arts is not as effective as consuming it before lifting weights or doing intense exercise like biking or running.

3. starfish

I go through a lot of whey protein powder, but that is because I am lazy.

I am not a morning person at all. So for breakfast I usually put put a cup of oatmeal and 50 grams of whey protein in a bottle and shake it up. Sometimes I use chocolate milk and sometimes I just use plain water. Then I drink it when I get to the office. I know it sounds awful, but I rather like it.

Depending on my mood I either eat a can of tuna or some more whey protein before I lift.

Too much protein will not help you build more muscle your body will just pass it through. The question is how much protein do you eat now, and what is your size and weight. I see many recommendations of 2-3 grams per pound, but I find that to be way too much. Maybe for extreme body builders, but I think those numbers exist just to sell more supplements. I usually eat between around .75 - .85 grams per pound. Though I think most people are closer to .5 grams.

It will take some time, but you will find your natural balance. It took about six months, but now I can tell if I get my diet out of balance. So I would suggest some experimentation with your diet and you'll find the find that is right for you.

If you really do want to take protein supplements I suggest whey protein over protein bars. Protein bars are freaking expensive. I buy in bulk, but I spend less than a dollar a day on whey protein powder.

4. 4 seat

From what I hear, it's about 1-1.5 grams per pound of body mass to build muscle, 1.5-2 grams if you're a serious bodybuilder. A good rule of thumb when trying to build muscle is 30 grams of protein every 3 hours. If you get a lot more, you usually just pee it out. I generally use protein powder for workouts but protein bars for meal replacement and protein on the go. And yeah, some of the bars out there are sugary shit. But with any large amount of protein, you're supposed to drink a whole lot more water. Getting a lot of protein and not enough water is bad for your kidneys.