1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return of the Hive

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Holly27, May 10, 2010.

1. Holly27

I have a weird problem with my right foot.

When I was twelve or thirteen, my neighbors went on vacation and my mom volunteered me to water their plants for them. One day, as I was watering their tomatoes, I felt a sharp pain on the top of my foot. I looked down to see a single fire ant, which... actually, I can't remember if I slapped it or just brushed it away. But when it was gone, I finished watering the plants and went back home to put medicine on my foot. I didn't have a major reaction to the sting - there was just some itching and swelling where I'd been stung.

Now I'm nineteen, and once in a while a single, tiny, light pink hive appears in the area that was stung. It itches, then fades and is completely gone within two hours. This has been going on for a few years, and usually I ignore the hive and go about my business.

Why does the site of the sting swell up every so often?

Three or four years before the incident, I had received dozens of fire ant stings in my left arm when I fell into a nest, and I didn't have a reaction beyond itching and mild swelling around the stings. Hives never appeared on my arm again until I had an allergic reaction to strawberries a few years later. Dozens of fire ant stings didn't hurt me in 1999, but this single sting seems to keep coming back to haunt me. :eek: God, I wish so much I hadn't worn sandals on that day.

Also... I haven't been stung by any ant since that last one got my foot. But is it possible I'm allergic to fire ants now, or something? :confused:

And does anyone else here have a problem like mine? This is confusing.... ^^;