1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm bipolar...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 11, 2010.

1. I've always been the kind of person who has mood swings, but I've always blamed it on hormones. Sometimes I have every reason to feel like shit (like if my mother goes and gets herself arrested), but there's always been a weird lack of patterns for my mood swings. Usually I'll have a reason for being bubbly or suicidal. It mostly depends on others, but I'll occasionally have random mood swings that hit me like a fucking brick. I'll be giving my friends hugs and fucking around with them, and then I'll feel like cutting myself after they leave. Another person can usually cheer me up unless I really feel like shit, which means I'll have to fake being happy. I've always been weird like that. Even normal people who have to deal with the kind of shit I deal with generally stay in one mood for years. In my case, I'll never be able to predict how I'll feel. If I am bipolar, then I need to seek out treatment for it. I already will have to seek out treatment for my worsening depression so I can stop self-harming. I feel really good tonight, and I'm planning stuff out. Bipolar disorder would only make it harder for me to survive. I don't want to die early and young, but I can't think clearly sometimes. If I ignore these symptoms, I'm throwing my life in jeopardy. At the age of fourteen, I shouldn't be thinking about how I'm going to die. I'm already getting better at shifting my mood for the week by socializing more and listening to happier music, if any of that makes sense. Even if I have problems with myself, I know I'm more useful alive than dead. Based on what I've written in this post, would you say that I might have some kind of bipolar disorder or mental problems? If I'm going to save myself, I need to know what I'm dealing with. I won't let my other self win. :thumbsup:

2. KaraBulut

Most people who are truly bipolar aren't diagnosed until well into their twenties. And during the adolescent years, it's very difficult to distinguish ordinary mood swings from a mood disorder- most people from age 12 to 20 have a lot of ups and downs.

A general guideline is that the mood swings of bipolar disorder are over much longer periods of times- weeks, months and years- not minutes and hours. And they are much more profound in the extent of the highs and lows.

However, given the other things that you have said- the cutting, the thoughts of self-harm- are a good reason to talk with a therapist.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Most people with Bipolar Disorder don't have such quick mood swings. Mood swings this fast along with the self-harmful/impulsive behavior would be more suggestive of Borderline Personality Disorder, which is often confused with Bipolar Disorder due to the unstable moods. The problem is that this diagnosis can only be given to those who are 18 and older (due to the fact that one's personality is still forming during adolescence). But, a 1 paragraph explanation of issues is not even close to sufficient for a proper analysis of any possible psychological disturbance.

I would highly suggest seeing a therapist/psychologist.

#3 Swamp56, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  4. Mitchell

I'm bipolar... I've been hospitalized in the psych hospital 3x and they say i'm bipolar.

5. KaraBulut

BPD is not particularly common- less so in males and it's a very very rare diagnosis that would not be applied to a 14 year old.

I do agree with you on the length of cycles in bipolar disorder and the suggestion to see a therapist.

#5 KaraBulut, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

That's why I said it can't be diagnosed in someone under 18. And even if it's not particularly common, that doesn't mean it doesn't occur in males.