Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Physical & Sexual Health

Physical & Sexual Health A forum for peer support and informal advice on matters related to physical and sexual health. This forum is not to be used as a place to obtain a diagnosis on an issue or as a replacement for professional consultations with approved medical practitioners.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th May 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Professional Cuddler

Orientation: 110% gay
Out Status: 98% out

Default Sensitivity to acidic foods

I've realized that I seem to have a noticeable sensitivity to acidic foods. I get heartburn a lot (people who know me are pretty much used to me randomly hiccuping for up to an hour after I eat) and I get canker sores really easily. This usually happens if I eat foods that are particularly sour or acidic (tomatoes, pickled things, orange juice, strawberries, pineapples, other fruits, etc etc).

I've tried cutting back on the foods, but honestly, it's difficult to do considering I'm a vegetarian and vegetables and fruits make up a pretty huge part of my diet. I've even tried drinking orange juice that says it's low-acid, but it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference. I still get pretty bad canker sores and heartburn. (I never really thought about canker sores and heartburn being related, but that seems like the logical conclusion here.)

This isn't a serious medical problem by any means, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make it, um, less annoying? xD I've never met anyone else who has the same issue as I do, so I'm not sure.
Old 16th May 2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Fmr EC Health Expert

Default Re: Sensitivity to acidic foods

What you're describing sounds like gastro-esophageal reflux (abbreviated GERD).

GERD can cause problems- damage to the esophagus, asthma/bronchitis and other conditions. You should see your doctor for evaluation and diagnosis.
KaraBulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
EC Addict

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Some friends and fb

Default Re: Sensitivity to acidic foods

I get this, not the canker sores part, but the heartburn part. It happened to me oh about 8 year ago now i suddenly started to get really bad heartburn and indigestion when i ate apples or drank orange juice. I never went to the drs about it but i did cut out the more acidic fruit out of my diet and i also took out dairy (i'm now vegan so i would have done that anyway). since i stopped with those things and take note of what sets off my heartburn it hasn't come back. i think the last time it happened i accidentally ate apples in something.

if i were you i'd try and cut out the things that are really acidic, like orange juice, maybe find a less acidic alternative. i drink cranberry juice and my stomach is fine with it. maybe you could go see your doctor to check there's nothing actually wrong.
mischa91 is offline   Reply With Quote