1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye Twitch

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NeonCookies, May 16, 2010.

1. NeonCookies

So my upper left eye lid has been twitching randomly and uncontrollably for the past three weeks and it is starting to get really annoying it does it like every five mins or sometimes it will just do it over and over and over again non stop i don't want to go to the doctors for this but i kind of want it to stop so does anyone have any advice? or is this happening to anyone else?

2. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I get that quite often as well. I just have to rub it away sometimes, but other times, that doesn't work. I think it's a normal occurrence.

3. D_Alejandro

Are you on any type of medication? If so, this is called Tardive Dyskenesia. If you take medication for a long period of time it will affect your neurotransmitters and cause involuntary move of body parts.

But if that's not the case, it's probably just a normal muscle twitch. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. KaraBulut

The medical term is fasciculation or blepharospasm.

They can last up to 7 days, usually intermittently (on and off) durng the day. They seem to stop during sleep.

We don't know exactly what causes them. It's believed to be related to fatigue, eye-strain and stress. Caffeine can make them worse.

As long as it's a mild twitch and your eyelid doesn't close completely and there's no signs of infection, then they're not usually worth seeing the doctor. They usually go away after a few days.

If you start having twitching in other parts of your body or the twitch worsens, then you should see your doctor.

5. Nialla

Nialla Guest

My eye does that on occasion, but normally it's when I'm both tired and stressed. As KaraBulut says, it's unlikely that it's anything too severe, but just try to make sure that you're getting enough sleep and enough 'me' time so you're not too stressed about anything.

Past that, i'm afraid I don't have anything else to suggest.

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I get muscles twitching everywhere(bicep, thigh mostly). Sometimes I get a twitch so bad in my leg(s) when I'm laying in bed that I actually do a single kick to some short distance, sometimes it's both legs, sometimes just one. Normal?