1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strength training workout

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sylver, May 21, 2010.

1. Sylver

I hope this isn't too repetitive of a question...

I've lost about 15 pounds in the past couple of months... healthy eating, no dieting. I still have more to go to get to my target... But now I'm being told that I look "wimpy", that either there's no muscle underneath where the fat was, or that I'm maybe losing both fat and muscle at the same time... :icon_sad: I jog religiously, so my legs are like tree trunks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I don't do any strength training or resistance exercises.

Anyway I'd like to start a strength training workout, especially upper body, but I don't know where or how to start. I have my own weights and bench (quite unused) and I would rather do it at home than go to a gym (I live a ways from any gym). I'm a little clueless about things like what's a good rounded program that works the various muscles, what exercises to begin with, how many reps to do, how and when to increase the weights and the reps...

If anyone has specific suggestions that would be great. Also if you know of any websites with strength training programs that you trust... And is Wii fit an option for this? I have a Wii but not Wii fit... Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

2. KaraBulut

What are your goals? Are you looking to add strength or are you looking to add more muscle (or both)?

3. Sylver

Both... I guess just to keep up my upper body strength... I'm getting worried that as I lose weight I'm also losing muscle mass, and I don't want that to happen... Maybe I'm looking for "jogging from the waist up" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: