1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrapes and cuts, did I do everything right?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, May 25, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So earlier today I fell halfway into a lake.

Backing up i was taking my dogs to the lake and when i got to the edge they pulled and i fell face first into the shallows,soaking myself from the waist up, and scratching the hell out of my knee/thigh/calf on some rocks, as well as my forearm.

An hour later i got home and I cleaned it with water, polysporin, and peroxide*. I'm a little paranoid because the lake water isnt really the cleanest for swimming in, but it hasnt gotten any worse. it scabbed like normal and its been bouncing between a shade that looks like ive dipped my knee in raspberry syrup and just slightly less than that. Its not very swollen anymore, when i first fell i had a bump on my knee the size of a golfball.

Is there anything else i should be doing/should have done?

* = i didnt rinse any of the medications off, FYI.

2. adam88

Should be fine. :slight_smile: I've gotten scratched up in lakes before and only used a mild disinfectant cream, so I don't think you've got anything to worry about. If it takes a really long time to heal or starts pussing, you might want to see a doctor to make sure it's ok, though.

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I have done worse in lakes too and no disinfectant and they healed fine with out it. Ni infection or nothing like that. So long as you let it bleed it cleans its it too. You will be fine.

4. KaraBulut

Usually three things are all that are needed for these kinds of first aid situations- mild soap, water and ice.

You can use neosporin or polysporin ointment afterward- it doesn't hurt if you're not allergic to any of the ingredients.