1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P90x

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EM68, May 28, 2010.

1. EM68

Has any tried P90X? I was thinking about it. I want to work out more but I work long hours and get out when the gym is closed.

2. Emberstone

it really depends on what you want to do. p90x is mostly about weight loss and control. they do some things for strength, but it is used mostly to get cut and definition of your muscles. so if your hoping to lose weight, it is a good program.

3. Jim1454

That's what I did with my boyfriend. I stuck with it for the 90 days and lost almost 30lbs! I keep doing the exercise routines - although not as often - and I am more conscious of my food now, and I've continued to lose more. I've got more definition and a lot less fat on me.

Caution though - it's a LOT of work. I found the eating part the hardest at first. The workouts are tough too - but you just have to pace yourself and not try to keep up with the people in the videos. I still can't. But I'm able to do a lot more than I could last July when I first started it. I'd say give it a shot. It worked for me. (But what really helped was having a boyfriend who was working out with me and preparing all my meals! Yes - I'm spoiled that way!)

4. EM68

I don't need to loose weight. I want to gain muscle and get more defined.

5. Jim1454

Well I still think it would be a good program. I like the videos because they're pretty thorough in explaining how to do things - and they have the routines set up for you. Going to a gym on my own, I'd never know what to do, how many to do, how much weight to use, etc. They help with all that.

6. Emberstone

it will help you get definition, but It really isnt meant to build on muscle. You will want to do weight training with a good diet high in carbs and clean protein (fish and chicken good choices, pending your not vegen/etc). muscle is built by putting tears into it through exhertion, so lifting weights/useing weight machines is the best way. weight machines guide your movement, but weights require more effort, and bring smaller stabilizer muscles in, which when used with proper weight and form, is safer and more effective in the long run.

p90x is good for losing weight, but for the price, it would simply be better to get a bench and weight set, and jog a bit to help keep body fat levels down for definition.

I myself decided to skip going for definition this summer, choosing instead to focus on bulking up and packing the muscle on so next spring I can focus on getting cut.

7. EM68

I see. I go the the gym and lift but I can only manage to go about twice a week. How long does each session last?

8. Jim1454

The P90X workouts are about an hour each, plus another 10 or 15 minutes of abs.

Gino has a set of free weights, which is what I use for a lot of the exercises rather than the tension bands. I just use the bands in lieu of pull ups. We don't have a pull up bar in his basement, or the height to accomodate one.

What they tell you with many of the exercises is that if you want to bulk up, you want to do only 8 to 10 reps of each exercise, and you are to use a weight suck that you feel the burn in the last 3 reps. If you're going more for a lean look, do 12 to 15 reps with a weight that makes the last 3 tough.

Each workout focusses on a couple of muscle groups. Chest and back is one. Shoulders, biceps and triceps is another. Legs and back is another. Back and biceps. They mix it up and have you do a variety of exercises that focus on those muscles.

For me, the thing is that I can do it at home. I don't have to make the effort to go somewhere, work out, possibly have to wait for people to finish using equipment that I want to use, etc. Plus, I'd feel self conscious going to a gym, as I'd assume that everyone else there knew more about that stuff than me.

If you're already going to the gym and you're not getting results, perhaps you need a personal trainer to show you what you need to do. Perhaps you also need to push yourself harder. I'm pretty wiped out after a P90X workout.