1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my hands on a chest binder

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bunny, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Bunny

Seriously, how hard is this supposed to BE?

Okay so like the first hit when you search for chestbinders is usually "FtM at Underworks" or whatever it's called.

But my mental health worker and I have tried ordering from them TWICE, and both times the money orders apparently never arrived.

Where else can I possibly get one from, guys? I'm in Canada, so nowhere too distant... It's gonna be summer soon, and I am SICK of wearing hoodies and slouching. =^=

2. KaraBulut

Probably the most common chest binder used is a series of Ace wrap type elastic bandage. Those are fine for very short periods like at Hallowe'en but they are not a good solution for long-term and repeated use.

There are surgical quality Spanx or Design Veronique type binders that can be worn directly on the skin and have a slow sheer factor, so they won't damage the skin or cause overheating.

#2 KaraBulut, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. Bunny

I've read that using bandages is dangerous, though, because they kind of self-tighten and can easily crack ribs and cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

I hadn't heard about the second ones though, I'll look into it. Thanks!

4. KaraBulut

There was an earlier discussion a few months back about this issue.

I'm not a big fan of binding with elastic bandages even though it's quite common. The wrap type bandages do put extra pressure on the chest walls and in adolescents who are still growing and this can cause issues with chest wall development.

I also don't like to put these type bandages directly on the skin since it can cause breakdown of the skin- either in the form of tears or in extreme cases, ulceration.

It's much better to use a garment that is designed for this purpose.

5. Bunny

I know, that's what I'm trying to find! But I have no idea where to look, and I'm running out of time before it starts to get really hot out, and I'm freaking sick of loose-fitting baggy clothing.

6. KaraBulut

The answer depends on how large your breasts are. Many of the sporty lesbians and FTM people I know are able to use a tight sport tank or a spanx top. If you're on the bustier side, then the surgical garments from Design Veronique.

This site also has information about the different clothing options.

If you use a major clothing site, you should be able to get shipment of these items within a week.

7. xCrazyInsanity

Alrighty, i'm making a hypocrite out of myself but here's why bandages are a bad idea.

The intended purpose is to keep an injured joint stable.
    When you move, they tighten.

EVERY TIME YOU TAKE A BREATH, your chest moves. So they tighten. Every time you breath.
    Fun ain't it?
    And, um. Yes. it's painful. Especially if you have... em.. large tumors(tumors, moobs. whatever).

OK i'm off my soapbox and gonna be watching this thread now.

also, kara - your first link only looks like it'll work for under B cup, since those aren't really ment for binding, just "not looking fat". Which is totally different from breasts
    [if the part of my mind which messes with my eating habits would remember that now...]

8. KaraBulut

Correct, as I mentioned "The answer depends on how large your breasts are".

I have several lesbian friends who are quite flat chested and are able to use a too-small spanx top to flatten their breasts enough to wear men's shirts. They look very much like a 16-18 year old boy in Hollister clothing.

Some of the more butch full-figured lesbians that I know have to use a garment. The garment exerts enough force to flatten out their chests by pushing the breast tissue flat against the chest wall. Because the garment spreads across their upper body and because it does not exert excessive pressure, they can breathe and don't have to deal with skin breakdown/chafing. These garments also allow anough air exchange that they don't feel excessively hot.

The result for them is a different look- they have flatter chests and can wear men's clothing but it tends to be more loose- like a men's dress shirt or a long sleeve polo shirt with jeans and work boots.

#8 KaraBulut, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010