1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18, nearly bald

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fiender, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Fiender

I'm 18 years old, and I would say that I have lost over 50% of the hairs on top of my head.
    My hair started thinning when I was 16, and his hasn't stopped. I've started exercising, taking vitamins, making better health decisions, but it continues to fall out.

I started losing hair when I lost weight, but that was years ago, and I should have recovered by now :frowning2:

I have a black mole on my scalp, which I don't think was always there, and that might be related to cancer or something. Is it possible that a black mole that is malignant, could be the cause of this?
    :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

You might want to make an appointment with your doctor to have it checked out. Usually moles are nothing to worry about as we get them all the time but you want to make sure that the texture, size or form of it is not changing in drastic ways, especially if it is a larger mole. So have it checked out to be on the safe side.

As for the balding, it could very well be in your genes. Some people lose their hair earlier than others. That's just the way it is, and the only thing you can really do is to accept it as just another part of you. There are lots of people in their late teens or 20s who are balding. Diet, stress, and your general health can have an impact on hair growth but it shouldn't have such an impact in particular if you have changed things.

Now, and KaraBulut can say more about it and give you more accurate information, but I don't think that you can lose hair from cancer itself, unless the cancer attacks or impacts the hair roots and halts the growth. Hair loss rather occurs during the cancer treatments (chemotherapy and radiation therapy) themselves but it usually will grow back. But as said, KB can give you more info on that.

I think your first step should be to make an appointment with your doctor and have the mole checked out to be on the safe side. But I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. While you are there, you could also ask him/her about your hair loss. He/she could also give you more information. (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the mole is really black and not dark brown, you should get it checked out. Other concerning signs would be a mole that is asymmetrical, or that the borders are not clearly defined (it's got ragged borders instead of smooth ones.)

The likelihood that it's anything really serious is small, lots and lots of people have moles, but it's worth getting checked out just to be on the safe side. I doubt that the mole, or anything arising from it, would be causuing or contributing to hair loss.

4. Fiender

I'd rather not think of this as being genetics, because by the time I'm 20 I'm probably going to be totally bald on top, unless I can get treatment or something...

5. Ben

Ben

There are treatments for male pattern baldness with good success rates. If you go to your doctor then they'll talk you through everything and get that mole looked at!

6. Just Adam

get checked at dr

other than that being bold is fine

Bruce willis, Lex luthor...its a look that can work...

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Ben mentioned there are treatments and they can have a pretty good success rate but they also cost a lot of money and you might still not be happy with the end result. It is far cheaper to accept that it is just a natural occurrence and accept yourself. Having hair or being bald, is not going to change you. It is not going to change your personality, it is not going to change anything about you.

8. Fiender

^Well good for them I don't want to be bald :confused:

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are concentrating on something that in the grand scheme of things is really insignificant. All that it will do is destroy your self-worth and self-confidence (even further) despite the fact that you can use that to build both of them up and become stronger as a person. As mentioned before, if it is as a result of genetics that you are losing your hairs, you can look into treatments and hair implants and what not, but in the end you might still not be satisfied with the outcome and that could have quite an impact on you, not just in terms of disappointments but also in terms of financial costs.

But at the same time (and let me be blunt): who the fuck gives a shit as to whether you have hair or are bald? If someone does, that person is not worth your time (and not even one hundreds of a second). If that is the attitude, that person doesn't care about the things that make you, you, which are far more important because that will allow someone to say, "hey, I am creating connections with this guy and I understand him. Maybe there is something in him that I like and will allow us to form a friendship or go down the road of a relationship."

If you accept it and show a confidence and are confident about yourself, others will follow you and take your lead.

Think about it. Is it really worth agonizing over it, and starting to destroy your self-confidence? No! If you accept it, you will actually built up your self-confidence and self-worth on which you can stand, and say, 'hey, this is me! Accept me for who I am."

Keep telling this to yourself and remind yourself everyday of it. If you have to, stand in front of the mirror and keep repeating it over and over again. Accept yourself, and accept the fact that every person is different.

10. Fiender

I shaved my head once, and I did not like how I looked that way.

I've spent most of my life being overweight, and having shit for self esteem. I worked my ass off (literally), and for a brief while I was rather fine with how I was.

I did not go through all of that, just so I could get stuck with a shitty hand.

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You have something right here to be proud off, and know how much work you have put into it to achieve your goal of losing weight and getting into shape.

You know what? All of that is still important and at the base of your self-esteem and self-worth. Don't destroy that by focusing or zeroing on a really insignificant thing because and let me say this again, in the grand scheme of things it does not matter. With or without hair, you are still going to be the same person, and you are still going to have the same qualities. Nothing will change about you.

Is your head going to be shitty? No! It is just another part of you that makes you, you. Look back on what you have achieved. Remind yourself of the achievements. Because that is what counts, nothing else.

It is all a matter of how you look at it. If you look at yourself in the mirror and say "yeah, I have worked on getting into shape, I have worked my butt off to achieve all of that, and I am happy with the way I look", your self-esteem will spike and you will feel different about yourself. You are going to be fine with 'how' you are, how you look.

But, if on the other hand you are concentrating on something that isn't worth concentrating on, your self-esteem will fall and everything you have achieved in the past will be flushed down the drain with it. And why do you want to do that? Don't do it!

You know, and you alone know, how far you have come. Built on that self esteem, built on your achievements and your success by accepting yourself, and accepting the fact that everyone looks different. This is the greatest thing you can do for yourself. If you do that, you will become stronger and that strength and self-confidence will show. You have that quality within you. Use that quality. (*hug*)

12. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As per other comments, you should check it out with a doctor.

However, as for being bald, its in the gene i think. And some ppl actually find bald ppl good looking (ie i find them really good looking)

13. Jim1454

*pulls out the serenity prayer*

Repeat after me:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I was in the same position. Maybe not quite as severe as what you are describing, but it was noticable before I was finished high school. I started on rogain, but decided that for the results I was getting (nothing really) and the cost of the stuff (very high) it just wasn't worth it. Instead I just went with it.

I haven't gone with the shaved look. I've thought about it, but for now I just keep my hair fairly short and neat - getting it trimmed every 4 weeks.

And you know what? My wife married me even though I was balding. I got jobs even though I was balding. I got a boyfriend who loves me even though I am balding. It really didn't matter to them.

That, and I have an awesome collection of baseball caps. (Don't want to get burt when I'm out in my convertible!)

14. KaraBulut

You're at an age where these things are important.

If you're losing your hair at 18, it's something you can slow down with a medication called finasteride (brand name Propecia) but it's expensive, insurance doesn't cover it and you will have to take it daily for many years. It will slow the process but it won't stop it completely. If you want to go that route, you should talk to your doctor now since your balding is caused by the death of the hair follicle which is not reversible.

Most bald guys seem to chose to wear their hair shorter or shaven. There's quite a few guys who find shaved heads to be very sexy. You won't have a shortage of guys who are interested in you just the way you are.

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people

Oh my goodness, I love you. Slaughterhouse Five is a ridiculously amazing book.

Now for the original poster. You probably won't find this helpful, but to me at least, bald guys are sexy. Shave it off.

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Try Ginger Shampoo??

My mums friends had cancer and she used it everyday and its even thicker and longer than before she had the treatment.

17. Ben

Ben

Hair lost through chemotherapy (and some other things) will grow back usually.
    Male pattern baldness and the similar condition in women tends to be a one way road.

18. Shevanel

I haven't read that book, but I'm guessing you're thinking he's referencing it with the use of that prayer? I'm pretty sure the Serenity Prayer has been around longer xD

19. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i started losing my hair in my early 20s too. that is down to bad genes lol. but it aint too bad and i now got over the upset of it (yes it was upsetting) that i just totally shave my head. thought last week id just go for it. and i actually like it better than i did before. tho the problem is some people seem to think i look even more of a thug than before.

20. Fiender

Idk, does the fact that my hair is thinning everywhere on top mean that it's being caused by something other than MPB?