1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appendicitis or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Holly27, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Holly27

Ugh.

So, a little while ago I noticed a little tenderness in my lower right abdomen, and I'm running a temperature of ninety-nine degrees. I did a search on the health forum and found this:

I checked and found that I have rebound tenderness.

I tried to tell my mom, the only other person up at my house right now, and she told me not to self-diagnose. She doesn't believe me. And since "nothing is open" this late (according to her), I should just put on my pajamas and go to bed.

Now, I also almost always have lower right belly pain and a low grade temperature right before I get my period, and I'm probably going to start bleeding within twenty-four hours.

But up until now, I had never felt rebound tenderness before. Then again, I also never checked.

I've also read that a women can confuse ovarian pain and appendicitis.

This is frustrating, very frustrating, and I'm a little worried.

#1 Holly27, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. VampConspiracy

I'm no expert at this - especially since I am a guy - but I know a hell of a whole lot about hypochondria, and at one point I was scared that I had appendicitis. Of course, going to my mother, she said that she often had pain in that general area. I'm not sure about the rebound tenderness, though.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I want to be, but if the pain becomes so bad that all you want to do is scream, there is something wrong. If it is just routine pain, there shouldn't be too much of a scare.

3. KaraBulut

Temperatures that are seen with acute appendicitis tend to be higher- above 100F orally and often in the 101F+ range. The confirming test is an elevated white blood cell (WBC) blood test.

There are other causes of right lower quadrant pain. And if you're having this with your period, it can be related- ovarian cysts, endometriosis, as well as menstrual cramps can all cause similar pains.

If this pain persists into the morning and your temperature is higher today, then you do need to be seen by a doctor. If the pain occurs on and off and you don't run a higher temperature, then you should should get an appointment with your family doctor this week and discuss the issue with them.

4. Holly27

Well, I have good news. My temperature has returned to normal today, and the rebound tenderness is gone. Instead, I just have normal cramps.

I've decided to see the doctor again. When I saw the OBGYN a couple of months ago, I told her of the pain in the right side that always comes with my period, but she didn't find anything. So I'm going back soon.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That always comes with your period? I hope I don't sound rude..but I'm a guy and I know that is just a normal cramp. Nearly every girl gets them, and unless you get a very ethical doctor, they will keep telling you they don't know so you can keep paying them.

I think you're being a wee bit too paranoid about it.

I used to be a hypochondriac, so I would know. :3

When you're on your period, your uterus is literally falling apart and your hormones are crazy. That's going to be a bit painful. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 Lady Gaga, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
  6. Holly27

Hey, it's been a while since I posted here. But now I have an update on this painful problem.

When I went back to the doctor, she ordered a pelvic ultrasound. It showed an abnormal buildup of fluid inside a fallopian tube, and so she sent me to a women's health clinic for further investigation.

Soon, I have to go back for a second ultrasound exam and possibly additional tests to see whether or not I need laparoscopic surgery. Eep.

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Well then, I am sorry for calling you a hypochondriac. Good luck with getting better.