1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How tired should I be after a workout?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Neoh, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just started a program called P90X, which is basically 90 days of varying workouts to help build muscle and tone etc. etc.

And basically it's my first day, and beside the fact that I now realize how much I actually needed this (when did push-ups get to be so hard?!), I'm curious how worn out I should be for the rest of the day?

After just today, I'm writing this about an hour after my workout (I ran a mile and then about an hour of push-ups and pull-ups with a few others) aside from some fatigue in my upper arms and the "inside" of my shoulders I almost feel energetic and like I could do it all over again.

I should probably also say that directly after I could barely do another push-up and I felt a little nauseous until I laid down for about 30 minutes.

I'm kinda new to this whole working out thing, so any tips or tricks would help too:thumbsup:

2. Gumtree

The point of working out is to either use more or equal to the amount of energy you put into your body via food. So naturally, you're going feel a little tried after decent workouts. Despite this, you generally don't feel tired directly after the workout, but 3-4 hours later.

If you're feeling tired straight after then I can think of 3 possible problems.

1. Diet it insufficient for the level of workout you're doing, OR you've recently changed your diet significantly. I am not familiar with the P90X workout so I don't know what it entails but does it involve any form of dieting?

2. Insufficient sleep. People often don't know that they're not getting enough sleep until they really actually do something. It's just like going to school in the morning without breakfast. (P.S, eat breakfast, it will help a lot in all aspects of your programs :grin:), often it wont be until you really kick start your metabolism that you'll notice any lack of sleep signs. Are you getting 7.5-8 hours most nights?

3. Definitely the most likely option, insufficient warmup and warmdown.

When you exercise, especially when you first start a new program; you can get something called an oxygen debt, which is when your body has moved beyond the aerobic energy system and into the lactic acid system(This isn't a bad thing, and it unavoidable in many workouts) and the muscles that you're really using starve the the rest of the body of oxygen, or can't even get enough for themselves.

After a workout, warming down (which is a progressively decreasing intensity cardio/dynamic workout) acts to keep your muscles warm and active but the intensity low so you're still in the aerobic system, which means you have surpluss oxygen which can be used to repay your debt.

The reason you need to warmdown is during exercise, vaso-constriction/dilation occurs in your body which means the blood supply to certain muscles/organs is changed to suit your workout. The blood vessels take considerable time to return to noraml without a good warm-down, which will lead to you're entire body feeling weak and tired.

In summary, your workout might include a warm-down, but if you're new to it or unfit then you might need to do more.

The warm-down will precent sore muscles the next day, reduce fatigue, maintain a higher metabolism and promote more bloodflow.

#2 Gumtree, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    basic rule of exercise.

The more you use a muscle the more it can be used.

You said your a beginner so its natural to worn out after a workout, you to be sore the next day.

Be sure and take a day or two off if your really hurting, give your body time to heal itself.

You can help your body repair the damage caused by a workout by drinking water and a lot of it. Eat plenty of protein this help your body repair muscles.

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

Just wait until you get to plyometrics, then you'll really be tired.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest you be careful just starting out running a mile. First off running a mile is a bit much for your body starting out. Also greatly depends on your body size. If you're thin then you might be okay, but if you're average or a bit more than average, a mile running is going to be a bit much but if you feel energetic then I suppose you're okay. Me I've been doing this Couch to 5K plan that I found recently and it's been paying off. I've been also doing 2.5 miles a day (however this is broken up into 8 minutes total of walking, and 12 minutes of jogging. And it's basically 1 1/2 minutes of jogging followed by a minute of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Turns out most studies show that no more than 20-30 minutes, three times a week is the optimum fitness. Generally those who do it daily and such are doing it for more than fitness). So just be careful, unless you're seriously overweight, I would say that you can probably not do the mile daily...but since a mile is generally 10 minutes of jogging, you could possibly upgrade to 20 minutes or keep the 1 mile per day. Just look up the Couch to 5K running plan and look for "Cool Running" because I've found it's been helping a lot plus I've stuck to it because it's structured and you're able to pace yourself and don't have to follow it completely to the T.

But it's just a suggestion, just be careful. Remember, doing too much will cause you pain, and that pain could just make you quit. It's why sooooooo many people stop working out, because they push themselves too hard and as a result wind up in too much pain and exhaustion, which just makes them give up. Just remember that less is more :slight_smile:

6. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I've seen the infomercials for that isn't it supposed to beat the shit out of you? "Muscle Confusion" as that guy says about 100,000,000 times lol

7. KaraBulut

PX90 is an advanced workout. And while it's a good workout, you can't cram a lifetime worth of exercise into 1 day.

It might be a good idea to set the PX90 aside for a while and work on basic cardiovascular fitness- run, bike, treadmill and core fitness. When you can do a basic workout without exhaustion, then come back to PX90 and focus on the plan. Otherwise, you're likely to get discouraged and quit- and that won't accomplish what you've set out to do.

8. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, some great advice! I went away for a few days for the 4th so sorry for the late replies. I should add that although I don't "work out" often I do stay active by playing soccer and tennis for my high-school. I wouldn't consider myself "unfit"

This is probably the reason of all 3, If I remember right I definitely had way too small a breakfast beforehand, I'll have to be sure to eat better next time, and stay with the other 2 as well.

I actually don't have much problem running a mile (which once again I probably should have said :icon_wink ) And I'm trying to stay in this as much as I can. I just keep trying to think how sexy ima look :lol:

I dunno, I just like having a set "plan" even if it's a little advanced I have no problem pausing and going at my own pace even if it doesnt net me the results I need in the supposed 90 days. I know that if I started off just lifting weights or running a bit each day on my own I'd probably lose interest quickly.

Thanks for the advice everyone! hopefully this will help me get to where I'm trying to go (*hug*)