1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cymbalta Nausea

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NickT, Jul 3, 2010.

1. NickT

I have been diagnosed with minor depression again, and my psychiatrist has recommended Cymbalta (due to Zoloft, Lexopro, Ambilify, and ...somethin-butrin having very little effect that last few times I had depression). He told me that one of the most common side-effects of it is nausea.

Right now I'm feeling like I'm going to throw up, not so much in the stomach area, but in the throat area. I'm thinking this is just the medication in general, since I have a bad experience with pills. The first time I had to take a swallow pill, it looked chewable, but when I did....it wasn't pleasant. I think it's conditioned me to feel sick after swallowing any pill, as that's what's occurred after with almost any type of pill.

What do you all think? Is it the traumatic experience or is the Cymbalta? Either way I'd like some advice on how to make myself feel better. If it is just the Cymbalta my psychiatrist told me it only lasts for a few days after starting.

P.S. I'm starting with 30 mg. for a few days, then bumping it up to 60.

2. Paper Heart

Speaking as a member who has had two nauseating antidepressants, I suggest that you try to stick it out for now, but if you still have nausea in a few weeks, you may want to try a different medication. Have you tried Prozac (Yes, the god of all antidepressants)? I haven't had many too serious side effects, and with my hectic schedule, if I miss a pill, it stays in my system longer so I can take it a day or so later.

3. NickT

I think I've tried Prozac several years ago, though I don't remember much. It'll probably pass eventually.

4. KaraBulut

You're on Welbutrin along with the Cymbalta.

It does take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to these drugs. In the meantime, people report nausea, euphoria, sleeplessness, horniness and odd thought patterns.

If it doesn't start getting better after a week, call your psychiatrist and let him know that the nausea is really unpleasant for you. There are plenty of good (and cheaper) anti-depressants to try. Cymbalta might not be the best first choice.

5. NickT

It wasn't necessarily the first choice. As I've said I've tried quite a handful of other drugs in the past. Most of them didn't do much, though I remember one making me extremely tired and fatigued so we got rid of that quickly.

And hey, I'll take euphoria and horniness if it means a little nausea. <_<;

6. KaraBulut

Unfortunately, those effects are as temporary (or more temporary) than the nausea. :slight_smile:

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Are you currently in therapy? Usually therapy can help minor depression without the need of psychotropic meds.

8. Mugwump

I just started taking Cymbalta about a week and a half ago. I felt like I would throw up for the first 4 days, then it stopped.