1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one on weight loss, different take though

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 5, 2010.

1. How can I come up with a plan that the whole family can use to lose weight? I know if other people were doing it with me I'd be more motivated and more likely to end up looking how I want to look and weighing what I want to weigh

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Go to the gym, ask a friend, get a instructor?

3. Sylver

I think you're absolutely right. It would be great to have all the family on board supporting you. More importantly, I'll bet that many of the bad eating habits that caused your weight gain are habits of the whole family, and they will not be easy to break unless the change is family-wide.

My strongest advice is to get the family into healthy eating as a philosophy. It's not about finding a diet or a plan or a program. It's about relearning everything the family knows about eating. We're now in an age where there is good information through books and on the net. Take it upon yourself to find these and learn about healthy eating habits. Make a list of the key points that get repeated across different sources, and build a consensus opinion about the best way for your family to eat.

Then you can make a plan, either for the family or with the family. First identify the bad things that you eat - make a list of them. Then use your knowledge of healthy eating to make substitutions and replacements. Deep fried chicken? Replace with marinated barbecued boneless skinless chicken breasts. Replace white bread with whole grain bread. Potato chips for snacking? Replace with fresh fruit or whole wheat pita bread and hummus. McDonalds every Wednesday? Replace with something quick but healthy - salmon sandwiches or stir fry. Bacon and eggs for breakfast? Replace with yogurt mixed with chopped fresh fruit and granola, or homemade oatmeal with chopped nuts and dried fruit. Make lots of room for fresh natural foods, whole grains, lean meats and lots of fish. Get rid of fast food and processed food, and minimize the "evil 3" - fat, sugar and salt.

I'd also recommend that you take up cooking as an interest. Yeah, I know it sounds counterintuitive, but when you think about it... the whole reason fast food and processed food exists is because we've forgotten how to cook with raw ingredients. When you cook for yourself, you are in control of what goes into your meals, and how everything is balanced.

And whatever you do, don't make this an exercise that everyone will dread. Pick tasty foods that the family can stick with. It's a great myth that healthy eating has to be tasteless or cause suffering. Not true!

Good luck with this - I know from my own experience that it's doable! :thumbsup:

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I hate when people suggest "Get an instructor"

Okay, those are expensive. You have to pay them. Most people don't have enough money to shovel out for a health adviser.

>_> Just saying.

Find a place to buy healthy food, that isn't too expensive. That way your family can't say "We don't have enough money to buy anything other than crappy bad food!" and go to the gym. And if you don't have a lot of money to go to a gym, go to the YMCA, membership costs are based on your income. So if you have a low income, your membership price is low.