1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toning the Body

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been following a running plan that's suppose to get me from being a couch potato to running 5K. It's 3 times a week, 20 minutes, and it changes each week of how much I'm to walk and how much I'm to jog. And while I know the great thing is it's going to really help me inside...it really I feel is doing little outside and while I've always been happy with myself, the fact is I have a gut, and my pecs are more like moobs (man boobs) that cause me to have to slouch my shoulders so they aren't visible in my shirts which while still being loose fitting still poke out. I hate it. Does anyone know what else I can do to help this factor? I definitely do not have that thing where there's a disc in my pectorals where I would need surgery in order to lose weight as my pecs are very elastic and easy to press down against my chest and such. But I just don't know what I can do to help flatten them. The same with my gut (though to be honest I could handle having a gut, it's more the pecs that aggravate me the most). So any help would be much appreciated because I know running will probably only start changing my chest and gut after like a year or two of running and I'd like it somewhat a bit faster...a couple of months or so rather than years....

2. RaRa

I believe push-ups are good for the pecs. Are you dieting also? With a running plan a diet will help you lose weight quick and lower your body fat %, and with that your gut and pecs will start being more flat.

3. Rikudo

From what I've heard diet is the best thing to do when wanting to lose moobs. As far as toning is concerned bench press strengths and increases the size of your chest. While the best lift that I've heard of to lose moobs is incline.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought so...it's just sooo freaking difficult...I say this because with living with autism, one of my biggest difficulties is trying new food....I mean with food certain textures, tastes, temperatures, they all make me squeamish....so I wind up not eating them. It's not as easy for me as it is for you guys to go into a restaurant and order something new for the hell of it.... Plus with my fruit problem....that makes it more difficult for me to try and eat better foods. If i didn't get pain in my chest every time I eat a fruit...I'd be eating them instead of cookies and tea and milk and bread....tho please note I eat whole grain bread rather than white or whole wheat.

5. KaraBulut

Flys- with dumbells or with cables will help build up your pecs to give you more definition and make your shirts fit better. Doing exercises for your upper back and lats will also help make adipose tissue on your chest less noticeable.

The fat on your waist and chest will trim as you increase your aerobic exercise and if you can reduce carbs in your diet.

6. RedState

You can run from Canada to Miami Beach and it still won't do you any good (from a losing weight standpoint) if you continue to consume more calories than you burn. In other words, diet goes hand in hand with your routine.

I can't remember if you said you ate whole grain or whole wheat bread...sometimes those multi-grain breads are just as bad as white bread...stick with 100% whole wheat.

Your body needs carbs for energy, but limit your intake of simple carbs (breads, rice, baking potato, etc) and try and incorporate complex carbs (green veggies) into your diet. Try and stay away from processed sugar as much as possible. This is your worst enemy when trying to loose weight. You would be surprised at how your diet alone can also improve your mood and outlook.

The best time to do your cardio is first thing in the morning when you wake up. Your body has nothing in its system after fasting all night, so it is forced to burn fat as fuel. I don't know how much you run, but 30-45 mins is a good goal. If you can't do it in the morning, wait atleast 2 hours after your last meal to run.

As far as weight training goes. If you goal is to tone, high reps with low weight. Bench press is for overall chest development, inclines for upper chest, declines for lower chest. Flyes, in all these positions, is good for toning as well. It's important to change your routine up as well. Always give any muscle group you work atleast 2-3 days rest before you work it again. Muscles need time to recover. Over training is a common problem. I see guys in the gym that train their biceps like every day, and they wonder why they don't grow.

With your "moobs", working out will help, but you may have gyno...which is mainly corrected through surgery.

Above all, it takes dedication and patience.

7. titaniumCloset

Not to sound like a douche, but I'm fairly jacked and have a 6 pack, so just listen.

You have man tits because you have fat and that is where your body wants to store the fat. You can not "spot burn" fat. If you do pushups you will burn calories and maybe maybe gain some muscle but probably not really. You need to make your calories taken IN be less than the calories you body puts OUT or consumes. A calorie deficit. This way your body is required to use it's stored energy (fat) to continue working. Your body will choose wherever it wants to pull the fat from - legs, chest, arms, ass, face. For most males, the belly is the last place to go unfortunately, but it really depends on the person.

Cut out eating shitty foods - fast food, soda, too many carbs (bread, pasta, sugars, etc.) and other crappy foods. Fruits are bull shit, you don't need them to look good and they're just a sugar fest. Eat as many vegetables as you want and eat as much meat as possible since you probably don't eat very much now.

Cardio helps to burn extra calories, but personally I HATE cardio and if I'm cutting (calorie deficit) I prefer to just eat less calories than to go run them off later in the day. What the above poster said though is correct - running in the morning before any food is the best because then you're more likely to burn fat than the food that's in your system currently.

Ask any questinos you have, I feel lazy right now and don't want to type any more but will answer Q's if I remember to view this thread again. Not trying to be harsh, just giving my tested knowledge.

8. starfish

Yes you should look into weight training. I have used to have horrible posture. Over the past six months I have been doing a lot of back exercises. I find my posture is a lot better now. I'm probably a good 2 inches taller now. The upside is that it has helped my self esteem. Instead of walking around slouched over looking at the ground I walk around with my head up. I feel more confident and I see a lot stuff now. An added plus is that my shirts fits better.

I've also lost my moobs and my pecs have become noticeable. It is nice to grab my chest and feel muscle instead of fat.

You mention that you are autistic. Do you have that thing were you can eat the same thing every day? I do and I can eat the same thing everyday for months on end and be happy. It takes time but I have managed to change my diet where it mostly includes healthy stuff. I do have to say it makes grocery shopping easy, and I only need about 5 or 6 things every week. Only down side is that I will burn out on something after a while and I may not eat it again for months.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah...I'm able to survive on the same food all the time...that's the problem...I mean hell I watch Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, etc and can't help but think "I want to try that" but at the same time I know that if I tried, I'd be like blech instead of appreciative of trying new food...I mean I'm starting to get better in some ways. Having fish instead of grilled cheese for example at restaurants. (It use to ALWAYS be grilled cheese and as a result I was ordering off the kids menu lol.) But even then, I wish I could actually be more open. Like trying risotto or seafood or something..

One of my biggest problems though is something doctors can't figure out. I generally order small size food because one of my BIGGEST problems is that I eat so slow and chew up my food so much because I find if I don't, I don't necessarily choke on it but it like almost gets stuck halfway down. Where it's like I can breathe, but I get a very uncomfortable feeling in my chest that can sometimes take hours to disappear...the same feeling that happens if I drink milk and swallow food at the same time....so as a result, I waste food or take it with me because I take like an hour to finish it -_-

So unfortunately...I have a lot of problems with food and as a result plus my pickyness because of my autism....it's hard to change my diet...

10. rebz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly right. It always amazes me how many people seem to think you can burn fat in just a specific area by with strength training. Fat is burned from all over your body, with whatever exercise you do. It would be good to do some cardio, and also strength train with the big 3 exercises to gain muscle all over your body, since increased muscle mass will burn more calories throughout the day in any activities.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat meat, but exactly how can I get past the fact that certain textures of meats really bug me and I can't just eat them like you would. I can only seem to eat certain meat if they fit a texture I like. Ie. Not tough to chew through. Steak no, Roast beef I hate, Chicken I enjoy, same with fish, but it's because of the autism I mentioned. Same with veggies. In their case, I like things that have taste and a lot of veggies don't have taste in my opinion and as a result my brain tells me it hates them and to stop eating them.

12. titaniumCloset

I hate most meat too. i will never eat steak i think it is disgusting. so i just eat tons and tons of chicken. every meal i eat i make sure there is meat in it and that meat is pretty much always chicken.

13. starfish

Actually it is good that you like chicken. It is a lot better for you than beef. Skinless chicken breast is really lean and is a good source of protein.

14. KaraBulut

Meat is a preferred source of protein but there are plenty of good alternatives like cheese, eggs, milk, whey and legumes. You can also eat canned tuna if you like fish. And there are the supplements that are more palatable.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Problem there Kara is I think I'm partially allergic to milk products. I mean I enjoy drinking milk, eating dairy, but when I say have cheese cubes for example, I feel like I'm sweating even though I have no sweat on my face.