1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fargo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Does anyone else have it where their recent memories lose so much detail that it feels like it was a dream? That's how it has been for me lately. I'm having difficulty telling the difference between reality and dream in my memory aspect. Mostly the one that stands out most for me was something that I thought of about a few days ago. And I couldn't remember what it was about but when I tried to think about it, it felt as if i had only dreamed it and not lived it.

#1 Fargo, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Oh and another one. Dreams I have had tend to feel like I lived them and so I sometimes ask if people remember this one memory, when they say no, I start to guess that it was a dream...but I can't remember if that's the case or not.

3. Ben

Ben

I always think that my dreams happened. And my short term memory sucks.
    I think it's normal to an extent to get these feelings occasionally. If it happens too much and it really distresses you then you might want to discuss it with a professional.

4. Mister Gaga

This happens to me too, so I guess it's normal, like Ben said, to some extent.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i must admit i don't get that, but i envy you it!!!

6. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It happens to me occasionally. Like Ben said, discuss it with a doctor if you feel that it's impacting your life significantly.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's normal to wake up from dreams and wonder if they happened. It's not as normal to, hours later, still be confused as to what was a dream and what was real, particularly if real-life events seem dreamlike.

If that's what's going on, it would be something to discuss with a therapist. It could be an indication of some sort of psychosis, PTSD, or strong dissociation. These sorts of events can occur when you are working on healing and processing traumatic events in your past, and occasionally for other reasons as well, and that's the most likely explanation. It isn't too difficult to resolve if you have a good therapist to help you.

8. BrettV

it happens to me, too.

I get confused as to whether or not it really happened.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" ...

9. Fargo

Fargo Guest

But it's a little bit more indepth that thinking it happened. It feels like it actually happened. One memory I have is where my aunt and uncle were over at my grandparents visiting with us and she pulled out a few of his teeth with some pliers. And this would have happened when I was a kid. But everytime I brought it up, no one remembered it. So I figure now that it must've been a dream. There was just so much detail to it all that I still remember it today as if it actually happened. And to be honest, I have no idea if it did or not. The other part that is bothering me now is that some memories I am having difficulty remembering and when I try to think about it, it's the feeling that I had dreamed it, when I am certain it actually happened... Could this be caused by bad serotonin levels?

10. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in similar situations where I though reality was a dream, especially when I was really tired. It could be a side affect of dopamine and melatonin in your system, but I would not know entirely.

I've had crappy, very realistic dreams before. One involved me at home watching TV asking my housemates if they wanted pizza.

I think the worse dream involved me being at a library and reading books. That was it.

Of course, I've had several very realistic dreams that seemed to be part of my true memory, but these are the two that come to mind.