1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor's appointments

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Okay - I have not been the the Dr for probably 8 years. Because I hate doctors and I have a phobia of having my blood taken. But I finally broke down and set up an appointment with a doctor for Monday.

A.) Aside from questions about diabetes (my mom has it) high blood pressure (everyone in my family has it) and my depression - what else should I ask my doctor?

B.) What should I do when he tells me I need a blood test? I always panic at the thought but I want to get checked out to make sure I'm healthy.

And then in another, but related area -

I'm going to the optometrist because I haven't had glasses for a while and I need some. What kind should I get? Shape wise that is. There's a picture of me on my profile for reference?

#1 travelinsoul21, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Ask him for a physical. You're 21 now and I think a physical would probably be wise. He'll basically just check your heart, your breathing, blood pressure, and may do a prostate check.

2. Breathe when asking about the blood test. You may not like the idea of them, but they are for your health. Ask him to test you for everything to be tested, glucose levels, hemoglobin, just the works. If you've had sex too, you can always ask for an HIV/STI test to be thrown in there. Please note though that generally whether checking for the general blood test or HIV/STI then only take the same amount of blood. They don't do like a double take for separate tests. Though you should know, they will probably take 2 and a half vials. but they're not like huge test tubes, generally no more than the size of your middle finger plus a few centimeters. It's not that scary. As for when they take the blood, I always talk to the nurse (the nurses where I live who do the blood tests are very friendly and ask me questions about what i do and how's school, etc) or you can pick a place on the wall (sometimes they have paintings or pictures in the rooms they do blood tests if you're not getting it done at a hospital) and just stare at it. The LAST thing you want to do is watch them take the blood because that will probably cause you to feel woozy and such. Also a good thing to do is get a good night's rest the night before.

3. titaniumCloset

Blood tests are really not that bad, I've probably had 35-50 throughout my entire life and now I dont even really mind them. The needles they use are TINY TINY. You barely even feel it go in, its like a little pinch. You'll be fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. I don't know. Last time I had blood taken I was 12 years old, and it took 3 grown men to hold me down so they could do it. I'm not thinking it's gonna be easy again. Maybe I should talk to the doctor and explain my fear

And as far as testing for HIV/STD's, I'm sexually non-existent at this point, so that's not a concern. There'd be nothing to test for....

5. Ben

Ben

I'm sure your doctor has met loads of people who hate getting their blood taken! He'll know exactly what to say. I get my bloods done every few months, so I'm totally fine with it, but it's not unusual to be scared of needles.
    And like the doctor, your optician would be happy to recommend a nice pair of frames which would suit you.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then all you have to worry about is just the getting the blood test for the usual stuff. And it's like what they said, it's like a little pinch. VERY minor. And back then when it took three grown men to hold you down you need to remember two things, One, medicine has changed and they don't use big needles or dumb practices anymore. And Two, you're not a kid anymore. But none the less, I understand your fear, I use to hate it too. But I got over it by remembering, it's just a little pinch, and then it's over. It's not bad during the taking of the blood or the taking out of the needle, just the insert and then the rest is easy. Bring along a parent or friend if you feel you need that assistance :slight_smile:

7. starfish

I remember having a tetanus shot at two different points in my life. One when I was 4 and the second when I was 22.

When I was four, the needle they used was 5 foot long and I swore I was going to die from the pain of the injection. When I was 22 the needle they used was about half an inch long and the pain was nothing.

I need to schedule a physical. I've been procrastinating, because I really hate waiting in the exam room. Seems like every time I go I am there for 30 minutes.

8. Well i went. I've gotta get my lab work done and go back. But Dr. said I am depressed and gave me Celexa. We'll see how it works. I'm hoping it does

9. But my blood pressure is fine, which was a worry since high blood pressure runs in the family