1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Itchy, red, swollen, gooey eye

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Smiley1123, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Smiley1123

Ok so this morning I woke up with an itchy, red swollen, gooey eye. It's only my right eye but its so bad! Of course, me having no control I itched it. It was so bad that at some points my vision was a little blurry. Do you think that this is pinkeye? If so, is it really as contagious as it sounds, because I have a very important class that I have to attend for the next few weeks. I don't know WHAT i'm going to do if it is pinkeye. Should I go to a doctor or do you think it'll just clear up? Also if it has anything to do with it I wore my contacts last week for the first time in about 3 weeks. I don't know if contacts have to do with anything.

Thanks!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best go to a doctor, it sounds like conjunctivitis. Either an optometrist or a regular MD can take care of it. Antibiotics and it will be gone in no time. :slight_smile:

If you wear contacts, it probably came from something in the process of inserting or cleaning your contacts. I used to have horrible problems with conjunctivitis, in spite of being obsessive about cleanliness with my contacts. Eventually, i gave up and stopped wearing them.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It most likely is pink eye. But see a doctor or even go to a walk-in clinic. They'll give you the eye drops you need or prescribe it for you, generally you'll no longer be contagious within 2-3 days max I believe.

4. Zumbro

Pink Eye is extremely contagious, but also very easy to prevent spreading. So long as you don't touch your eye, you should be fine. If it itches, use a napkin or something, then toss it immediately. If you do touch your eye, go wash your hands immediately, and any doorknobs on the way. Change your pillow covering every night, or else you'll keep getting it (I personally used the two sides of the pillow, as well as a few towels, to prevent having to do laundry every day).

As an example of how contagious it is, my university shut down the gym for a week due to an outbreak of pink eye (as it often spreads in places such as gyms when people don't clean the equipment). One of my brothers managed to spread it to about 10 other people in our house by not washing his hands after touching his eyes. So, easy to prevent, but if you don't, it's easy to spread.

5. Smiley1123

Thanks guys, I'm probably heading to the dr first thing tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

6. Corny

Corny Guest

could be pink eye, could be worse (infection, maybe already affecting the cornea). so go to the doc .. you don't want to take any chances when it is about your sight!

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pink is super contagious! Be sure to keep your hands away from your eyes and use lysol wipes on everything

8. Smiley1123

Ok. It turns out its just pink eye and I got some eye drops. Thanks for all the help guys! (&&&)