1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've completley lost my appetite...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GoinStag, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Since like April I've hardly been eating. Not on purpose, though. I just haven't been getting hungry. I didn't notice 'till my school councilor pointed it out to me. We were walking the halls and she said "You look a lot skinnier than when I last saw you.....Gabe are you eating?". I of course said yes. I'm not starving myself. Like I said, I'm just not getting hungry. I literally will eat once a day, sometimes twice. A few weeks ago, I went a day without eating. I just wasn't hungry. Lately I have been feeling weaker, like I have less energy. If I try to make myself eat, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I do have depression, I have for 3 years, but it has never taken a toll on me like this before. I'm on meds and stuff.

Can someone give me some advice as to what I should do? Should I keep going like this? What should I do?

2. theJosephDean

Hmm, I'm interested in seeing others' responses as well. Well, the responses that actually have an answer not pertaining to going to see a doctor "immediately". =/

Since mid-May, I've been the same way. Though, my weight keeps fluctuating in a five-pound range whether or not I'm eating, which is weird. I just never really feel hungry. I mean, sure, I get those random "Oh I need to eat" moments, but very scarcely. In June, my nerves and emotions were just a horrid mess, so that contributed to lack of eating and prolonged physical (and violent) illness. I think I brought more stuff up than I even at to begin with.

But anyways, I'm just saying I know what you're going through. I'm weak all the time, too. I just want to lie around in bed and sleep. The only reason I don't is because I have schoolwork online to complete >.<

What kinds of medication are you on, sir? I'm not exactly well-versed in the field of pharmacology, but it's good information for other repliers to know =)

3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Thanks, I'm glad someone can relate. I am taking Concerta to help me focus (for school, but doc recommended I keep taking during break) and Budeprion (Wellbutrin) for depression. I have been on both since like December.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have you been less active?

if you aren't burning calories then your body won't demand you out any back.

Try working up an apetite. Talk a walk get outside the sun shine. it will help your mood too.

If all else fails see the doctor.

Are you on any meds? They can mess with your system: make you more or less hungrey.

5. theJosephDean

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: *teasing*

---

Anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've taken similar medications before, but they never interfered with my eating habits. Hmm. It could be related though, I presume, since everyone has different reactions to them.

6. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Everyone says to get outside and get some fresh air. I tried sitting on the front porch today just for the hell of it for like 30 minutes. I notice it kinda helped with the mood a tiny bit. I still can't get an appetite though.
    Only reactions were a little cotton-mouth when I first started taking the anti-depressants.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

What meds are you taking?

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm, cotton mouth usually means dehydration, which could explain a lot. Is your pee clear or dark yellow?

Try drinking water.

9. pirateninja

I had the same thing a few years back when I had my GCSE's coming up; I rarely felt hungry, and so I rarely ate. Like you, even trying to eat just made me want to throw up.

I went to my doctor, and he said that it was likely it was stress related, due to my exams, and that because I had been too focused on the studying, the signals that you are hungry get 'put to one side', and after getting used to not eating much, when you try to eat, the gag reflex kicks in.

My doctor gave me some tablets to inhibit nausea, which meant that the gag reflex wouldn't kick in as I ate. I wish I could be more help than just "see your doctor", but honestly, they do know best. :slight_smile:

10. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Concerta to help me focus, and Wellbutrin for depression.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm sitting out on a porch isn't going to get any appetite back. You actually have to move. Try taking a walk or even jog. But I'd suggest if you are feeling weaker these days you should stick to walking, take a water bottle with you. And while I know you hate reading it, see the doctor.

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I was sitting on the porch because I've heard the sun helps your mood. Like if you're depressed. I thought I'd give it a try. The appetite however, I still don't know what to do about. Maybe a doctor would be a good idea, I just don't want to make too huge a deal out of it. That's why I made this thread asking for help lol.

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Concerta (along with depression) can cause weight loss. How long have you been on it?

14. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I think since January.

15. Jace

concerta is basically watered down speed (very similar to meth, amphetamines, cocaine, etc.)
    which severlly decreases apetite
    i used to take concerta and then folcalin (sp?)

and then i stopped

a few years later i would occasionally take drugs similar to that for fun (vyvanse, adderall, etc.)
    i wouldn't eat, or sleep and the whole time i was up, i'd feel like i was running on empty, living off cigarettes and liquids alone.

of course, i would take way more than than i was supposed to, and when i came down, i'd be starving and exhausted. do you know what mg of concerta you're taking? maybe decreasing the dose would help.

i'm prescribed a low dose adderall now, for ADHD, and while i can feel its effects (appetite, energy, focus...) and i do enjoy it (probably more than i should :/...) the lower dose doesnt completely eliminate my appetite as higher doses would

16. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

56 MG of Concerta and 150 MG of Wellbutrin.