1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthma Issues...help?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Just so you all know before I make this post, I WILL be seeing my doctor soon about all of this anyway, but any input or advice is still much appreciated.

So I've had asthma pretty much my entire life. I was diagnosed when I was 7, after being out of school for weeks from a cold. At the time I was perscribed Bricanyl and later on Pulmicourt.

I used those, and I went off of them for a few years as my asthma got better, but when puberty hit my asthma got a zillion times worse and I was back on the medications. I was on them for about 6 years, and nothing too serious happened in that time. I think my mom rushed me to the hospital once or twice, though i got pulled out of school a couple times for attacks in class.

Then when i was 19, I started having bad side effects to my bricanyl. Out of the blue, the bricanyl was now too strong for me and when I took it, my athsma would get worse, I'd get nausea and dizzy spells and I would get shakey. This happened nearly every time I had to take it, and my mom and I went to see my doctor and she switched me to Symbicourt, and took me off of the other two. The Symbicourt is significantly weaker, and does the job.

So lately up here it's been crazy humid, making me need my inhaler a few times a day.

Now here's the odd part: My symbicourt wasnt helping at ALL. Then I ran out, and I pulled out the half used bricanyl that I had left, and used that. During the humidity, it worked like a charm, and I had no problems at all.

I'm not sure what to do now. The bricanyl is too strong for mild attack use, but during the extreme humidity we've had lately up here, its working for me better than the symbicourt.

Should I ask my doctor to give me a different medication? the ventalin spray type inhalers do little for me, and my girlfriend mentioned some kind of athsma vaccine her brother gets once a month for his severe athsma, but she also told me it's really, really expensive.

I'm not sure exactly what I should ask my doctor, and I don't know how to get my asthma under control...advice?

2. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard Exercising regularly helps keep Asthma under control(I don't know if you do that already). But the first thing I think you should do is discuss everything with your doctor.