1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rollerblading

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BudderMC, Jul 22, 2010.

1. BudderMC

I'm trying to be more active, but I can't stand running... so I was thinking of going for rollerblading instead. Is rollerblading a decent alternative? With rollerblades I can bring them with me when I move to the school in the fall too, instead of say a bike.

Thanks as always. :slight_smile:

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i love them!!! i have a pair, but the rink near me got demolished last year =( so now it's all outdoor stuff.

Yeah, it's relatively low impact, very good exercise, and excellent fun in my opinion. Be prepared to have to replace your wheels now and then though, and make sure you do a bit of research into keeping your wheels healthy, and choosing the best wheels for what exactly you want to do. Some wheels are softer than others and hence are a bit more comfortable, but will wear down quicker.

3. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rollerblading is such a hoot! Just rolling down the street with the wind rushing against your face, it's awesome! I would recommend it! It's good exercise, it's fun, and it's easily carried when not in use! :grin: It's like a bike on your feet.

4. BudderMC

Thanks for the replies. I've already done a bit of looking into then so that I know what I'm looking for. Part of it is because the only place around here that sells them is having a pretty decent sale on everything, and because my friend was also going to get a pair too, lol. But yeah, I haven't been rollerblading since I grew out of my old ones years ago, it was fun though :slight_smile:

Edit: Should I be ok to go with just a helmet and wristguards, or will I really need knee and elbow pads? I'm not planning on going hardcore, and probably just around the neighbourhood/streets.

#4 BudderMC, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I think elbow pads are more important than wristguards.

I broke my wrist rollerblading once, I was just wearing a helmet and wristguards.

My wrist was broken..and my elbows had barely any skin on them. It was fantastique.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    roller balding is good, engage your arms to burn more calories

7. Mister Gaga

I absolutely love rollerblading, it's sooo much fun, especially when you're with friends, and you're racing or such.

I gave up rollerblading though, because I gave mine to a friend's lil bro, and they make me look giant :grin:

8. concklin

I used to love rollerblading! Not that I started to not like it, I just stopped doing it. And I'm not that active and I don't like running either, so maybe I should start that again.

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Use full protection when you are learning. It is a low impact sport... once you stop falling on your ass. I had a bruise roughly the size and shape of the Ottoman Empire blooming on my right buttocks/thigh for the first three weeks of learning.

Also, go out with friends. It can get really frustrating if you don't pick it up right away. And they will motivate you and support you if you struggle.

Oh! And learn how to stop. You'll find that ending up rushing down a hill with weak braking skills loses its fun factor after smashing headfirst into a streetlamp in front of a group of Japanese tourists.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

#9 Numfarh, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  10. bironey

Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't change my wheels in years and I fucking love me some rollerblading...or rollerblazing even.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally didn't know you can use rollerblades to shave your head :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (Sorry I couldn't help myself). Maybe I should get into this because I am finding running getting a bit old...but I mean...on six weeks right now...I think...maybe seven weeks. So go me :grin: I dunno though, like Budder asked, would it help you build strength more than running?

12. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think rollerblading would strengthen your arm than your legs. When you rollerblade, you using your arms to steer you around. Then again, it also does strengthen your leg because you have to life your move your legs side to side. :\

13. silentsound

It's great exercise & fun! I do it 3-5 times a week & I love it. As long as you're actively moving & not just coasting along it can be a great workout. As far as padding goes, definitely use it all for the first few weeks (even if you've done it before) but once you get good you really shouldn't need much more than a helmet unless you're really nervous about falling.