1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck at gym?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Andytx1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Andytx1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so I've been going to the gym for 4-5 months now .. It started off ok and I kept lifting more and more each week. Then i took a break for 1 week (exams) But now I'm stuck. It's been almost a month and I'm still stuck on the same weight ... is this normal? =_+

P.S: I did started reducing my gym time (to about once or twice a week) because I see no progress and is about to give on ... HELPP~

2. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    You may have given your muscles enough time to build up and started plateauing. Try doing different workouts or different types of exercise to sort of "shock" you muscles into doing something new and not something they've literally grown accustomed to.

3. Rikudo

Well I might be able to offer some better advice if you were do give me some key details.

How many days out of the week did you go?
    How many hours per day?
    Did you do lifts for toning or bulking up?

Aside from that. Since you've been away for only a week it's odd that you can lift less in fact it's often been the opposite with alot of the football players here. We can go on a week or two break and actually lift more cause are muscles are more refreshed and have built up. There is also the possibility that you've reached your limit on weights. While it is possible to bypass you'll have to work harder to lifter heavier weight. Just continue to workout and your strength will be back.

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Plateauing is natural. It happens to all athletes.
    Give it time and continue to push yourself. Try not to measure your success in terms of 'pounds lifted' or 'reps completed'. I like to think of a workout in terms of muscle burn, the endorphins released and my level of fatigue following the workout. Also, it is interesting to see how quickly your muscles will bounce back from a strenuous workout. Does it take a day? Two days? Reducing that 'lag' time is also another goal for which you can aim. And if all those don't sound like good ideas, you can try switching it up. The same motions/work out routine can leave your body bored with the repetition. Try something new to shake your body up whether it is a new sport, a new exercise class, changing your cardio routine or incorporating new exercises and stretches (legs, arms, chest/back, core).

I hope that helps!

5. KaraBulut

It's a plateau. You'll hit them periodically.

What happens is that you begin to build strength and tone very quickly. And once your muscles adapt, those early gains begin to slow.

You have to make a decision as to whether you want to maintain where you are or whether you want to change your routine.

If you want to continue making gains and adding mass, what you now have to do is confuse your muscles by changing up your routine. Sometimes it helps to make a few appointments with a trainer to design a new routine or to come up with exercises to address your weak areas.

6. Andytx1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How many days out of the week did you go? be4, 3 but now 1 or 2 ..
    How many hours per day? 1 ? ... the personal trainer gave me programs
    Did you do lifts for toning or bulking up? what's this? XD

Do you guys know how long until i'll become unstuck? I feel very unmotivated and it felt like I'm not getting anywhere ... Through, after the gym my muscles do feel tired and I feel hot :confused:

Oh btw, after that 1 week my personal trainer left and I asked for a new routine from someone else and I'm doing that right now but no growth :confused: I've been doing the new one for like 2-3 weeks ... It did get a bit lighter. But when I tried to lift this machine (i used to for my old one but not anymore) again i couldn't lift it =.=

#6 Andytx1, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  7. RedState

Sounds like you have a shitty routine. you're not going to get anything really accomplished by just going 1 or 2 days a week at the gym.

The difference between bulking and toning is this: When you go on a bulking cycle, you are trying to gain muscle mass. This would consist of heavy lifting. You also have to eat, a lot...not just cheeseburgers...but the right foods in the right balance. You need to consume atleast 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. This can come in the form of protein shakes and lean meats like chicken, turkey, fish, sirloin. Be careful with some of those shakes though...a few are loaded with sugar. You also need to eat the right balance of carbs. You need those to give you energy. Sometimes when I go on a bulking cycle I'll consume close to 3,500-4,000 calories daily, spread throughout the day eating 8 small meals (but that's not for everyone) Once I reach my desired weight, I'll start the cutting (toning) process.

Toning/Cutting is defining the muscles you do have. You do this by calorie deficiency. Because during a bulking cycle you will gain a little bodyfat, but not much of your diet is correct. You scale your diet way back and start doing cardio and higer reps with lower weights.

Routine: Muscles easily adapt, so that is why you need to keep switching up your routine. I aways try to hit one muscle group a week, that way I give them plenty of time to recover. It's easy to overtrain, so be careful not to work a muscle group to death. About 1 to 1 1/2 hrs is a good time frame. I try to limit it to about an hour because in most males, when working out, their testosterone levels will peak after about an hour and then start to level off.

How long will it take to get over this plateau, if you switch things up, hit the weights hard and get the right diet it shouldn't be too long. What exactly is your routine and diet?

Sorry if I threw a lot at you. Hit me up if you have any questions.

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

u can always do it at home with out alll the treadmills, weights etc

People on youtube has great routines, like these guys:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHrJ1R_WAaM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NjC03DFMI&playnext=1&videos=WMGhMqNZr7k[/YOUTUBE]

9. Andytx1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, how many times should I be going? My trainer gave me this program that pretty much works all my body parts. So I thought going one day then rest 2nd day and going again the day after that was fine. Anways, I'm still stuck. Do you have any advice on how much food I should eat? I hate eating (not really) but I don't feel like eating a lot of the time x]