1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anorexia or not?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nicknikko, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Nicknikko

I have a friend that only eats 2 meals a day. he said he was kind of anorexic but i am just so worry about him...
    i eat 5 times a day but each meal is a small portion idk if he's anorexic or not...

can you guys help me ..:confused:

2. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I've kinda had that same problem...
    Since people would tease me, I stopped eating and lost a lot of weight due to depression.

I would eat like one or two times in a day, but as for your friend, it depends on his portions. How much does he eat? How's his life right now?

3. not necessarily because normally I only eat two meals a day too. I skip breakfast and just have lunch and dinner cause Im not awake early enough or I don't have the time. If he's not eating they other two then its cause for alarm. Im not saying don't watch it, but I would say there's a good chance it isn't anorexia.

4. Nicknikko

He says that like one meal could be a sandwich and then the otherone migh vary..
    plus he works out a lot

5. paul7836

I dont think its anorexia, but it all depends on the person. I would keep an eye on him, but not everyone eats a lot.

6. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that your friend really has anorexia, but I can understand the concern, especially if he works out a lot in addition to not eating much. I posted a couple of links to give you some information about anorexia in men. It presents a little different in men than women and often goes undiagnosed.

http://www.boyanorexia.com/
    http://www.anorexicweb.com/StoriesForBoys/boys.html

7. Nicknikko

oh thanks! ;]

8. Kibuki kid

My mum and sis say the same thing about me. I eat small portions so they complain that i dont eat and that i'm thin. Im not thin. Your friend sounds alright but you should watch him and check if his temper is off and if he look pale those are usually indicators. Hope i was even slightly helpful:confused: .

9. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Working out and not eating are very suggestive. Depending on how he appears, thin, little body fat, not much muscle, pale, slow in movements are a few things that are noticeable. Anorexia comes from poor body image and any weight gain is considered something terrible. If your friend is working out hard but fretting about gaining weight, he is likely suffering from anorexia. If he gains muscle, he will gain weight as muscle weighs much more than body fat. Be vigilant in watching him for a while and if he fits the above, perhaps it is time to speak to his parents or a school counselor, as he needs help. If it goes too far he can have results that are not able to be corrected. I.e., Karen Carpenter of the brother/sister team The Carpenters died of complications of anorexia.

10. surfrboykai

anorexia is mental disorder. they literally see themselves as being fat in the mirror. it's a lot more than just not eating 3 meals a day

11. Kimi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7G0ENIwIpg

Hearing what you said, I don't think he has anorexia but if he is working out alot to lose weight then you might wanna keep eyes on him.

It's really depending the person who eats a lot or not but if you think it's really weird(he is trying to not eat or anything like that) you can talk to a school counselor.

12. Micah

Keep in mind that Mental Disorders always start somewhere. While he may be skipping meals today, if left unchecked, it may develop further.

13. abercrombieboi

is there such as thing as likw exercising to much..like as an eating disorder..or something like that... I mean I jog 2 miles a day and dance for 2 hours str8 every other day with my team and i just practice by myself everyday for at least an hour...but I eat like a beast! Is that a possible eating disorder? or like mental illness?

14. surfrboykai

are you obsessed with working out?

15. Nicknikko

Hey thanks for all your help... i've been looking through sites and all that and i sorta think he is not "sick" yet... so i think is a great moment right now to pay attention to his eating habits...

16. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He is very lucky to have a friend as great as you Nick ^_^

17. funa2z

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anorexia goes far beyond only meeting 2 times a day. If you have heard your friend complain about their self image frequently, if they make excuses not to eat at social occasions, or are seriously malnourished - then i would worry. But not until then. :slight_smile:

You're friend is lucky to have someone like you so concerned.

18. Nicknikko

omg thanks i'm soo releived now... I REALLY LOVE HIM...he's been there for me and i know i have to be there for him if he's strugguling with an eating disorder...
    and thakns again you guys are awesome