1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by travelinsoul21, Aug 2, 2010.

1. I'm considering going vegetarian to see if it helps with some issues I've been having. Some foods tear my stomach up so bad. How can I go from meat eating to a vegetarian?

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

One meat group at a time. Start by not eating meat that 'tears [your] stomach up'. Give up that meat group for one month. Then drop another. You'll find that after a time (depending on your motivations and gastrointestinal tract) eating meat will be repulsive for one reason or another.

For reference, the order I eliminated meat and a time line(and I'm not quite done yet):
    1. Pigs. December.
    2. All other mammals (sheep, cows). January.
    3. Chicken and all other poultry. Mid-January.
    4. Fish and gelatin. May.
    5. Everything else with a face. (crustaceans, squid, octopus...). July.
    6. Next thing to go will be all dairy products. I'm hoping to start that at the beginning of September when I move out again.

As you eliminate meat from your diet, be sure to replace your protein intake from healthy sources. Increased dairy consumption has its faults since it is a very fatty food group. Eggs have high levels of cholesterol. I'd suggest finding a milk replacement that you might like such as soy milk or almond milk (rice milk is pretty nasty, if you ask me) and eating plenty of legumes. I eat lentils and beans like they are going out style. Also, be sure to take a good iron supplement as you may not find the perfect diet right away and you want to avoid becoming anemic (like what happened with me initially).

I think that's all I can say on the topic.
    Why are you thinking of becoming a vegetarian, if you don't mind me asking?
    Or is it just body function issues?

3. Just body function issues. I'm also considering just cutting out the kinds of meat that tear my stomach up and eating more of other kinds. But I do need to include more vegetables in my diet regardless. I'm mainly just trying to find a way to eat healthier.

My diet consists of alot of beef & pork, little vegetables & no seafood. Maybe I could just mix it up better

4. Just Adam

i am also going to cut back on meat...tho i feel like ive jsut sold my soul !

but i LOVE drinking milk its the best drink ever a nice cold glass of milk is my ambrosia

i need to lose soooo much weight

5. I like soy milk, so I'm gonna try it. No promising though. I love me a glass of milk

6. zoeee

i'd say you don't need any supplements, i haven't eaten meat for years and never taken any additional stuff, never eaten a lot of beans/soy/tofu...and i've been fine ever since! i don't feel like not eating meat harms my physical health so i'd say GO FOR IT!

and how? maybe watch some clips (i bet you can find stuff on youtube) about how badly some animals are treated before and while the butchering process, how they're kept in tiny cages with no possibilities to even move..that might help. and otherwise: just...try not to make exeptions! not "only that one sausage" or the one steak or whatever...

good luck! good choice :slight_smile:

7. Blondie

Blondie Guest

check out this you might get a kick out of it
    http://www.themeatrix.com/

as for tofu i have no problem with it the same with soy milk knowing how and what they do now is really gross to me

8. Gumtree

Dairy is NOT in any way a high fat food group IF you follow the RDI indicated for them. Combined with some low fat options that go beyond the RDIs, Dairy can be a healthy protein source and become a PART of protein supplementation for vegetarians.

Eggs contain insignificant to NO negative cholesterol. Research now shows that Eggs can actively LOWER your LDL levels.

9. I've been a vegan for a little over a year now and it's really helped my health out and I've been a lot happier. I didn't have an issue with cutting things out slowly because I've never really liked meat, but when it came to dairy products and such it took a while. I had to get used to not baking with egg and milk, which was kind of hard. Lol. And since my family didn't support it much I was stuck with pb sandwiches for like...4 months. After that, my mom started buying me a lot of good veggies and flax, which is something you need to help regulate yourself if you aren't eating meat. Also if you are going to cut out meat entirely you'll need to start taking a small dose of B12 everyday. Usually you can get this from a multivitamin (which you are probably taking anyway), but you need it because it helps build muscle and you won't have the B12 you are used to getting from meat products. :slight_smile: Hope this helps.

10. Just Adam

hmm today started the start of my veg-a-thon.... i cut back teh meat and starting tomorrow im nill by mouth of meat.

that could hurt me.

11. MusicIsLife

I don't know if this would help, but ive found the easiest way I converted from omni to vegan was the substitution way.

I don't mean eating all those highly processed fake things, I mean instead of drinking milk I had almond milk or soy milk, instead of a burger I had a bean burger, and so on.

I did lose a ton of weight and personally, if you're the type to sit down with a cookie and milk before you go to bed...switch it up and learn to like herbal tea. Theres this tea I just love by four o'clock, and its called Maple. Its like a drinkable muffin...sooo good!

Oh yeah, and tea has no sugar or fat or anything in it, as long as you don't add milk or sugar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Whoa whoa. Don't freak out. Let me explain myself.

Dairy can be a healthy source of protein, for sure. But increasing your consumption of things like cheese is bad for you. Have you ever taken a look at the fat content of cheese? It's horrific. Dairy should not be used as a REPLACEMENT for the protein you are losing in your diet. As in I think it would be unwise to up your intake beyond the recommended levels in order to make for lost meat products. Otherwise, you will be consuming far too many calories worth of fat.

And the whole egg thing depends on who you ask and at what time of year. I wouldn't say there is consensus. Last year, eggs were bad for me. This year they are good. I say you should moderate your consumption to play it safe. Follow me?

And besides all that, both the egg and dairy industry support the meat industry. Which is something I'm against on a personal level.

#12 Numfarh, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  13. Just Adam

i just need alternatives to pottato now. i think ill eat more bean sprouts

14. No One

When I became a vegetarian it was definitely a mind over matter situation. I have been a vegetarian for almost four years now. I found it helpful to eat a lot of starch. That worked for me, but who knows what will work for you.

15. Ty

Ty

Previous posts suggest you should do it in incriments. I don't see why that's necessary. When I became a vegetarian, it was literally a matter of 'Okay, from now on I shan't eat meat'. It's not that difficult, just a bit inconvenient when a restaurant's menu contains little in the way of vegetarian food.

Good foods to eat? Falafel, hummous and lots of Quorn. It goes with pretty much anything and can subsitute any meat in your diet.

16. Just Adam

i started my vegathon fully

it will be hard but ill manage.

17. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Well, I suggest it simply because that is the way I did it. And I found less temptation to stray from my new diet when I started it slowly. In much the same way that starting a workout plan shouldn't include going to the gym every day initially (unless you happen to have an iron will(most people don't)).

So no. It is not necessary. But it is very helpful.

18. Just Adam

its gone backwards i just had a little beef and onion pie :frowning2: i shouldn't of i didnt want it tit tasted like crap i doubt theres much real meat in it...why did they have to buy me it for tea :frowning2:

apart from that im doing ok.

havnt tried the light soy milk i got...

that was weird standing in the super market going soy milk wheat milk or rice milk :S ...but i whent for light soy milk as thats got to be good for me..

apparently :S scared itll taste like crap tho :S so ive just been drinking orange juice all day.

19. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

You should tell your friends/family about your decision. They may give you some flack for it at first, but they will have to support you eventually. And that way, if you happen to be having supper at their homes, they can prepare well in advance. :thumbsup:

20. Just Adam

yea , they just aint good at accepting...

i had supper a while ago... poached egg left over rice and lambs lettuce :slight_smile:

tasted bland and crap but im sure its healthy, i think eggs good to eat within reason. as for meat thats it no more.

i think chocolate may be staying around tho haha i had a caramel bar while cooking rice i was like OMG did this always taste so good lol

so chocolates my treat even tho i dont like sweet things lol

as for family giving grief i already had that lol.