1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glandular

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Micah, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Micah

So I got home from school last night feeling a bit sick, so I went to bed quite early. Unfortunately I couldn't sleep and continued to wake up every 15-30 minutes throughout the whole night.

In the morning, I was dehydrated, sweaty, nauseous, dizzy, my throat was inflamed and I had a temp of 39.2 oC (102.56 oF). So mum drove me to the doctors, who now suspects I have the early stages of glandular fever. I'm going for a blood test in a few days time.

Has anyone ever had it before? What can I expect if I have it? Also, I have my final exams in 5 weeks :S

I just want to get better :frowning2:

2. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had it a few times before, not to mention constant throat problems. It kills. For me it lasted for about 3 weeks but thanks to antibiotics I got over it fairly quick.

Expect to basically feel dead. When I had it I could barely get out of bed let alone go to school..

Stay inside, eat healthy, maybe have a cold bath (it kills but it drastically reduces your temperature), and most importantly don't do anything to stressful.

Of course since it has been detected early you might be able to save yourself a hell of a lot of ickyness.

:frowning2: Hope you get better in time for the exams.. Considering it's your VCE exams.

3. davo-man

too bad one of the most stressful things for Yr 12s are coming up...I havent ever had Glandular Fever, but i hope you get better in time to study and sit the exams

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh, it's MONO! I had no idea that's what it was. Weird.

Anyway there is info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glandular_fever

Antibiotics should be totally ineffective, as mononucleosis is viral, not bacterial.

5. 24601

I was wondering what it was, too, but didn't feel like looking it up. Same reaction as you, :lol:.

I hope you get well, soon, Dave. :frowning2:

6. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thats terrible Dave, I hope you get better soon

7. SpikySpice

I was wondering what it was too, cuz I never had it before, but thanks for teh link Joey

And Dave, stay healthy, bud, hope you feel well soon:slight_smile:

8. Jerr

The Kissing Disease?

I'm sure you will get through it soon. (They caught it early so all is better then if you were like me and refused to go to the doctor until you were too weak to fight...)

When I get sick... I stay in the shower... keeps my body temp regulated... if I don't I'm hot/cold/hot/cold/insane.

9. Kibuki kid

Get well soon! Heres a hug(*hug*) take your meds and get some rest! I wonder how you caught it.....hmmmmm

10. xxAngelOnFirexx

i've had mono twice and so has my sister. it sux. it lasts for months. hope you feel better soon.

11. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

i really dont know anything about mono or anything glandular.
    i just know mono is an energy crusher

12. Jim1454

There are varying degrees of mono I guess. I've heard of people so tired that they couldn't get out of bed!

I had it 10 years ago - I was having a really stressful time at work, we were planning our wedding, looking for houses, and I was studying for my entrance exam for my accounting designation. Well I couldn't believe how sore my throat was! Only rest made it go away - and thankfully it did, as I was only 3 weeks away from my exam when they finally diagnosed it. Luckly I did well and passed.

Good luck. Try to just take it easy, and it will pass.

And it terms of it being the kissing disease, I have no idea where I got it! I was engaged at the time, and my wife certainly didn't have it, and I wasn't kissing anyone else! (Promise!)

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I hope you get well soon Dave. Take it easy and do what the doc says.

EC will manage without you for a while if necessary.

(*hug*)

14. Vampyrecat

I've had it two years ago, really badly, I was stuck in bed for two weeks, sick as hell, felt horrible, couldn't get up, needed help to go to the toilet, which was SUPER embarrassing (so don't tell anyone okay? :wink: ) and it took me about 5 weeks to get over it entirely.
    And unfortunately, because I had it so severely, I got Post Viral Fatigue.
    So, once you're over this, if you feel really really tired and keep getting ill for ages, go to the doctors, and they'll probably tell you that you have PVF as well. Glandular fever takes AGES to get over, and PVF can take up to 4 years to get over. I'm still struggling to get rid of it and its been two years since I was diagnosed.

Lots of rest, don't do anything that takes up a lot of energy, drink energy drinks (lucozade, gatorade) because they'll help keep your fluids up and help give your body the energy it needs to fight the sickness. If you get worse, go to the doctor IMMEDIATELY, because in really rare cases, if your spleen becomes enlarged, then it can rupture and all sorts of bad things happen then.

Hope you get better soon and that you go well with your exams dear. (*hug*) (*hug*)

15. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^_^; I guess I should've explained myself better. I also had a throat infection at the time so the antibiotics got rid of that pretty well (I was on high-dosage) so then my body wasn't fighting two things at once.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah ok, that makes way more sense.

I just didn't want people thinking they could fix mono with antibiotics.

17. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah.. :confused: Neither. Well I know here in Aus you need a prescription from a doctor to get them. Dunno about the rest of the world though.