1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girls: Synchronized periods?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chandra, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Chandra

This isn't really a health issue, but I wasn't sure where to put it. Mods, feel free to move the thread if you see fit.

I've heard it said that women who spend a lot of time together will end up having their menstrual cycles synchronize with each other, and this in fact has happened with my girlfriend and me. I always thought it was a bit of an old-wives' tale, but it seems to be true in our case, anyway. I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this? If it is true, I wonder why it happens.

2. Eleanor Rigby

When my best friend an I were living together, we used to have our periods at the same time (at least in the same week). But I always thought it was pure coincidence.

3. pirateninja

At least you guys can sympathise with each other during cramps and PMT :lol: I have to say, even though me and my sister aren't synchronised (I know when she has hers seeing as she steals my towels), we usually fall within a week of each other. I have no idea whether it's some kind of bodily hormonal response thing or simply coincidence.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My psychology teacher actually talked about this yesterday. He said that its very true and a proven fact that girls synchronize their menstrual period when they live together. He also said that some women do it just by spending a lot of time with other women they care about like on a job etc.

He mentioned that there were various theories that tried explaining it. The one he talked about said that back in the hunting and gathering times not all men would come back from hunting, so it was vital that the few men that came back could impregnate as many women as they could while they were there.

5. Smiley1123

From my experience it is in fact true. When I go to camp almost everyone in the bunk has there period at the same time. It may just be a coincidence but I think think that is happening for a reason.

6. AlyssWonderland

I think its true. Me and five of my best friends hang out with each other nonstop and they get it all at the same time. I'm pretty irregular with mine, I get every few months or so, and they got me off of 7 months without it.... Grrr. :***:

7. Courtneyyy

Yep. This summer I lived with 3 other girls (and 3 boys) liked slept in the same room spent 24/7 together. And 3 of us synced up. It was weird because two of us were on the pill (not me). One other girl and me like synced up with one of the girls on the pill and like got on her schedule.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived with female room mates and they always seemed to get theirs about the same time

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Yeah we learned about this in neuroscience. It's evidence that humans can detect pheromones without a vomeronasal organ (a vomeronasal organ is a special organ that other mammals have to detect pheromones of their own species. Like how dogs will sniff trees that other dogs peed on and detect the pheromones). A student-Martha something or other-brought it to light in the 70's because she experienced the same thing; women she was living with all seemed to get their periods at the same time. And experiments were conducted and sweat from women was placed on the upper lip of other women and lo and behold their bodies adjusted themselves and had their periods around the same time.

10. HalfInsane

Oh its definitely true... though sometimes I wish it weren't. My mother, my sister and I get our periods within the same week EVERY month. So we're all bitchy, and and in frequent need of the facilities, as it were, at the same time. Its like the monthly menstrual war.

My two closest friends also get their period at the same time as me.

11. otc877

otc877 Guest

My friends apparently sync'd up. One of them would always ask "Have you started your period yet? I think I'm starting mine..."

This was before one of them got pregnant though...

12. partietraumatic

I have a few friends who went to an all-girl school. Lets just say if you visited on the wrong day...well you can imagine what its like having 30 girls all synced up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

incidentally i once read an article which stated that men can develop hormone fluctuations in sync with their partner, in the long term. Dunno if there is any truth in that or not tho...

13. lunaj92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    me and my best friend always do that and it is sooo not okay cuz there is way to many angry female hormones running around the room to keep us from fighting

14. Love etc

It's very true. My cycle always synches with whatever female I live with.

15. ariesxoxo

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm 14 y/o straight and in highschoool and I've experienced the synchronized period with my sister who's also I've experienced it withy past best friends and cousins that I don't see a lot probs about 5 times a yearwe had a synchronized pperiod, and I have a bestie she lives across the street from me and were already starting to talk and think alike sometimes and we might start having synced periods

16. ladyneko13

me, my mom, my little sis, and my gf all have our periods within a week of eachother, my poor brother gets the worst of the pms. XD

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard a story once from a reliable source of a male lab director who had 30 female employees. At that time of the month he would be sure to quietly sneak into his office and close the door...

18. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mom and I used to have synchronized periods - mine always started a day or two after hers. But then she went through menopause...

19. Adarya

Mine and my mother's always seems to be synchronized. My sister is quite lucky because she only get's her period around twice a year (even though she's had it for about six years now). When she does finally get her period it is normally synchronized with mine and our mother's. I think it's a hormone thing that female's periods become synchronized; that's all I can think of as a possible reason.

20. VelvetEYES

I always thought it was funny back when I was in college how all the girls would sync around me. It happened every time. There would be 4 of us in a suite.

I must be the period whisperer or something LOL