1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight. I'm sick of it.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jeimuzu, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Jeimuzu

Ever feel like there's someone up there trying to stop you being what you want to be?

I've been trying to lose weight for ages. I weigh too much, definitely.

I try to diet, start feeling dizzy from not eating enough, break the diet. Stuff like that.

Now, this time I was determined. I still am. Basically, I exercise before and after every meal! Surely that'll work, it takes into account the amount I'm eating, builds up an appetite before, and burns some of it off afterwards. Surely gonna work!

Now, the first flaw is that I'm weak. I'd need steroids to beat a fish in an arm wrestling contest. This makes pushups, with my weight, impossible.

Second flaw is that my house is a bit weird. If I do any exercise which involves jumping, stepping, all of that, I make huge amounts of noise.

I tried Wii Sports. Great fun, quite active!

Ended up pulling something in my shoulder.

So I figured, okay, sit-ups. Can't go wrong with them! Twenty-five in each sitting, enough to get me a little tired but not so tired that it encourages me to sit around. Just a little ache. I started off doing, in the long run, about 75 a day. I've been moving up quite a lot, yesterday I did 175, for example.

Feeling very pleased with myself, even though I can't yet see the effects, and I don't think I've dropped a jean size yet.

Today my back's gone weird, and I KNOW it's got something to do with the situps.

So if I continue, I'll make it worse, surely?

Now what? I've ran out of ideas.

Incidentally, just weighed myself, I'm 202.5lbs.

#1 Jeimuzu, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. Jim1454

Jayhew will likely wade into this topic...

If you're looking to lose weight, you need to do cardio exercises - more than toning / strength ones like sit ups. Adding muscle will help, so sit ups can't hurt in that regard, but getting your metabolism up will likely require some form of cardio exericise like running or swimming or cycling.

I took up jogging this year. I weighed 221lbs after Christmas, and was just sick with myself and how I looked. I'd never been bigger. (I'm 5'11" tall.) So I started to watch what I ate - cut down on the sweets and portion sizes. I also started to jog 3 times a week. They say that's all you need to do and all you should do. Doing the same exercise every day will likely lead to injury - as you're finding out.

And don't try to do too much too fast - as that will also lead to injury.

I started out walking for 4 minutes and running / jogging for just one. Every couple of weeks I would reduce the walking by one minute. I've been really careful not to push it, or to hurt myself. So after almost 9 months, I walk 1 minute and jog for 2. I do that for 30 minutes - so run for a total of 20 minutes and walk for 10.

I lost 15lbs from January through April, and I've kept it off May through August. Now I'm trying to lose another 15 - to get me down to 190.

If I can do it - you an too! Good luck.

3. Jeimuzu

Well, I do a fair bit of walking, too, but I'm not getting injured by that - except for the occasional blister. Either way, walking's something I'd do, fit or not *shrug* Not really part of my weight-loss regime.

4. Jim1454

Well that would be helping. My doctor said that you want to do something that elevates your heart rate for about 25 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week. Is it a brisk walk?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Jacob...my life is a constant weight loss plan. First thing, get rid of the word "diet" in your vocabulary. You need to make lifestyle changes. Starving yourself so that you feel dizzy and faint is not good. Try focusing on what you SHOULD eat instead of what you shouldn't. This has been the only effective weight loss thing for me. I'm down 18 pounds. Try eating lots of foods high in fiber and protein. Nuts, whole grains, fruits and vegetables are great! When I eat good like this, I lose all cravings and do not get hungry. Also, try eating small portions several times a day. Jim's suggestions for excercise are great!

6. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I agree with becky. I don't know much about this, but if you just eat healthy food and try to rarely eat unhealthy food, and exercise regularly I think you'll loose weight =)

7. Jerr

I lost some of the weight I wanted to get rid of.

YOGA helped me... well considering I did nothing before it helped. Monday's class is a work out but more on stretching and yadda yadda. Wednesdays class is power yoga... Elana will kill us. lol

I did cut back on how much I ate because well... I <3 to bake and I'd bake when I'd get bored and um hells yes I'd eat the batter the frosting and a good helping of the cake freshly frosted. lol

I didn't think there was anything physical I could do but Yoga is pretty amazing. I <3 it. I NEED to start running with my dog so I can do cardiovascular work out. (Need means I'll probably never do it...)

Find your physical thing that you like to do. Something fun. WITH PEOPLE... well for me I have to have others with me. I lifted weights with a friend and that was fun but we stopped. (Yes... I said fun. We talked and bull shit the entire time but really worked and laughed)

Find what is right for you.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Losing weight pretty much boils down to a really simple equation, when you get right down to it: if your calories in are smaller than your calories out, you'll lose weight.

In most Canadian/US diets, the easiest way to achieve this is to drink WAAAAAY more water and way less pop and other sweetened beverages. I was just reading a news item the other day going on about the evils of sweetened beverages and they are the only thing I think they've conclusively linked to obesity.

Personally, the times in my life I have effectively lost weight (maybe the only time since I happily have not spent my life fighting my weight) has been when I pretty much stopped drinking pop and was exercising regularly. My feeling is that you have to address both: calories in (diet) and calories out (exercise).

As for exercise, if you already walk a lot, that's great. Ideally we'd all have more active lifestyles, so if you're already doing a lot of walking, that's great because that's activity you don't have to go out of your way to do. Just make sure you walk at a good clip. I'm convinced the only reason I didn't end up really overweight during my very non-active adolescence is because I did a LOT of walking and I kinda power-walk comapred to most everyone else. (Seriously how can people STAND moving so slowly?!)

As for "exercise" exercise, I am and always have been totally in love with swimming. It is not only great cardio but it's about the least stressful exercise on your body in terms of impact (i.e. there is none) plus it strengthens all your core muscles, which reduces back pain and stuff like that. And specifically for me, I hate sweating, and I tend to do it at the drop of a hat, so swimming is awesome because even though you're sweating, you can't tell! :icon_bigg

I was always told sit-ups are much to hard on one's back and that all the serious people just do crunches because it has the same effect and is much easier on the rest of one's body. But yeah, sit-ups or crunches are not cardio-heavy so they're not going to help you lose much weight. Plus if you're overweight, it doesn't matter how great your abs are because they won't be visible. Most of "hot abs" is actually "super-low body fat" more than it is "I do a gazillion crunches a day" (although I'm sure the gazillion crunches don't hurt).

9. Tom

Tom Guest

for me the best way u could lose weight would be swimming mabe an hour a week or longer, its how my dad has lost aload of weight recently and its really builthis shoulder, arm and leg muscles andjust fpor the complete body situps wud tone ur stomach but just dont do too many at once. i cant really say anythin from my own experiences cus ive always been skinny

10. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    That's a good point actually Tom, swimming not only used tonnes of muscles in your body but it's therapeutic and puts very little strain on the joints.

Other than that try to eat more healthily, definitely treat yourself to nice things too... but it's all about moderation. Fortunately for me I can eat, eat and eat and still be the same weight or not eat at all for days and still be the same. However, I hold no hope that my metabolism will hold up like this and as such I do try to do as much exercise as possible. Besides, exercise (especially walking in the dales, absorbing the scenery, fresh air, etc) can be very calming to a stressful life. I love going on weekend long expeditions with friends in the upper Yorkshire dales and Pennines.

11. Jeimuzu

I love swimming, but there's nowhere really conveniently close. When I go on holiday, I hardly leave the pool. Also, the nearest gym takes me over an hour to get to, at which point I've already walked three miles, and will be doing so again on the way home.

It's really a case of what exercise I can do, and the problem is that there really aren't many. I just walk a lot. But my metabolism doesn't really seem to think that's enough...

12. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    surely in 'boro' public transport is on hand so that you can get to the pool. Having visited 'boro' a fair bit (on business) there always seems to be a shed load of buses around. Oh and a lot of police cars, but that's for another topic :wink:

13. Jerr

WATER forgot about that...

Water is AMAZING. I drink like anywhere from a half a gal. to like 2 gallons a night... of course I don't sleep so I just drink it constantly while at the computer. This is a bit much... more then I probably should and I do end up sprinting to the bathroom... multiple times. (Oh look exercise!) Now... if you are like me and weigh yourself every time you go into the bathroom... water will make you heavier but I mean it is water weight... very temporary. Water is good for you! (You will sweat a lot more if you don't now...) but all is good for you... yes you can die of water poisoning... but don't go that insane with water... lol You will hurt before you die so hopefully you'll stop drinking before then.

Water is almost all I drink... now if I go out to eat... you best believe I refill my drink about 8 times. Dr. Pepper. I mean hell I drink a lot but instead of drinking bad stuff at home I just have water with me.

14. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    how much is 202.5lbs in kgs??? is that big for a 19yo??? i think im about 38kgs but dont no what it is in lbs pounds

15. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jayden

205.5 lbs is about 92kgs and 38kgs is about 84lbs or 6 stones. 205.5lbs is about 14.7 stones which for a 19yo may be too heavy but it depends on height and build.

16. Louise

Three miles on a bike won't take you long and won't wear you out, little paddle around in the pool for an hour or so, hop on the bike pedal back home and before you know it you'll have a great exercise regime going in no time.
    Try listening to music as you exercise, (not in the swimming pool of course!) it helps pass the time and makes it less boring. If you find an exercise you like you have more chance of sticking with it.
    Best of luck!!

#16 Louise, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  17. CrimsonThunder

I don't have enough time to read the topic but when you're trying to lose weight you eat more... Healthy food.

Lots of salad and fruit + exersize = weightloss.

18. Kimi

Swimming is good way to exercise and lose weight especially you are kind of a big side and having problem with running or anything like that due to the weight. But since you don't have any pool near you...that's not an option I suppose...

Then only way to lose weight without any injuries is gonna be change diet.
    Well, since you are not so sure about losing weight by food, I'm gonna give few tips.

Eat a lot of breakfast!! It doesn't matter how much you gonna eat. Just eat a lot.
    You can still drink soda and eat chips or any kind of snacks but you have to write down what you ate and how much calories it does have. At your age, amount of calories you should take is about 2500 kilo calories per day. So if you eat more than that just by snacks or drinks then there is no hope for you to lose weight by eating.
    Drink a lot of water. About a gallon or 4 litters.

But don't eat too much at dinner. I would recomend you to eat till you feel 80% full. And once you finished your dinner DO NOT eat anything till you wake up next morning.
    And if you can't go sleep because you feel hungry, then make hot milk with bit of suger in it that'll put you in good sleep.

I'm not saying like you can eat whatever you want...like 5 pieces of pizza for breakfast and 2 more before the lunch and ate another 5 pieces for lunch and 3 more at 3 pm and had whole pizza for the dinner. Now if you are wanting to lose weight and eat that much pizza per day...I don't even know if you gonna be here in next 5 years.

OK, it's getting long so I'm gonna shut up:rolleyes:

19. Jerr

You know... if you get small portions then WAIT like 20 minutes before getting 2nds... you will find you get full off of a lot less then you thought.

I use to eat 4 popparts in the morning. (that is how I say it!) Turns out... eating 1 fills me up... if I wait after I eat it.

I was amazed because I could down 4 with EASE. Only reason I didn't eat more was because 4 packs came in a box and eating more then 2 packs a sitting seemed bad.

Trust... drink lots of water. Small portions and WAIT between getting 2nds. I'm not saying you won't get them but you will find out you get full off of less.

20. Bryan

I feel the same way. I am 5' 11'' (1.8 meters or 182 cm) and weight 195lbs. (88.5 Kilo). I have done everything to loose weight, but nothing has worked, even an hour of cardio a day. The only thing that has truly helped me, is having a piece of fruit for lunch, or spinning, but I don't have time for that.Sadly, it is my stress eating that keeps the pounds on, but that is a different story. Basically I have accepted the fact that I am fat, and have bigger things to worry about. Try spinning, it is intense, and keeps the pounds off.